View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Pre-School Or Not? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Having began pre-school at the age of 2; I believe that it is important for a child to begin going to some sort of pre-school at the lastest by the age of 3. Most of these are "schools" only have half day programs and start children out coming 2 or 3 days. I know that private pre-school is out for many families due to the expenses. However, what would be other thoughts on starting children out in pre-school if there were public pre-schools?

Pre-school helps children begin to learn it's ok to be away from mom or dad for a short bit during the day, to share with others, communicate, form friendships, and more. It also gets children used to coming to school and helps them see that school can be fun and not just scaring as some may think. This is why I find it important to put children through a pre-school.

Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In some ways I agree with sending children to preschool and in some ways I do not.

My preschool experience was spending time each week with my retired grandfather while my parents were at work and I would not trade that experience for any preschool in the world.

The one thing that I did miss out on by having that experience was acclimating to not being around my family, which made going to school and coming to college rather difficult for me. However, I do not attribute all of those difficulties to my preschool experiences.

As a result of my experiences I am not socially inept around my peers or adults. I am able to communicate well with either group, but because I am shy by nature, it could seem that way until a person gets to know me. That being said, I am still more comfortable talking with adults than with my peers because that was the exposure I have had throughout my life since preschool.

Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:47 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely feel that pre-school is a good thing. I actually attended a public pre-school and though I don't remember much about it, I feel that it helps a child get used to commuting somewhere everyday as they will with school. Pre-school also helps with starting you out on some things you need to learn, such as counting, tieing your shoes, etc.

Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:05 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that pre-school is a wonderful thing for children, because often times parents don't have enough time in their day to teach kids what they need to know before kindergarten. As a child I didn't attend pre-school but I was fortunate enough to have parents who taught me and I have excelled in school. I believe that pre-school will get children ready to leave their parents for a longer period of time and it will allow them to develop social skills. I think public pre-schools would be awesome! If a family can't afford to send their child to pre-school, then providing informational books could benefit them. The parent has to actually care enough to read the books to the child. Until preschool is free, we as educators can play mommy and daddy to the less fortunate ones.

Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:16 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Pre school is were its at! If children are not getting the basic knowledge of colors or shapes and starting to learn their ABC's, then pre-school is great for small children before they start kindergarden. I know when i was young our elementary school didnt offer pre-school, so instead my grandma took me to a church in the next town. It was really cool too, because the people that were in my pre-school class were not the ones I went to elementary school. Instead I didnt see them again till middle school and it was a great conversation to start off my middle school experience.

Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:27 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I had the same experience as Erin in that I stayed with my family before school, and was surrounded by them until I was old enough to go to Kindergarten. My mom did try to put me in a private pre-school when I was young, but she told me I got kicked out quickly and was a problem child then, although I don't know what I did to get kicked out.

Like Erin, I relate to adults very well today and enjoy being around them more than my friends do for the most part. I think that if parents are teaching kids what they need to know before kindergarten, then the kids are alright but if a kid has a mom and dad that work all the time, pre-school is a good way to learn and develop social skills

Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe pre-school gives children the opportunity to prepare for Kindergarten. If children are given a practice round then they will do better in the real thing. Pre school not only helps children to learn at earlier ages, but also prepares them for all of the social aspects of public schooling.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:17 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Having a two year old nephew and him being the only child, I feel like pre-school would greatly benefit him. With him being the only small child in our family, he does not get the experience of playing with other kids his age very often. I feel like pre-school would help him with being around other kids his age, and seeing what it’s like instead of always playing with adults. Also, at his age right now he is not much into the whole sharing thing...so I feel like pre-school would really help out in this area also. As a child I did attend pre-school, and many of the people that I went to pre-school with, I also went to elementary, middle, high school, and two of them are up here as well! This has enabled us to keep a strong bond with one another and often talk about the memories from pre-school.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:06 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that pre-school would be a good idea. It could help children at an early age learn how to work with others and also, learn to share space and materials.

Having not attended pre-school as a child, I would definately consider it one day for my kid(s). I think that the earlier a child can start learning things in a school setting, the better.

Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that some sort of social activity before school starts is important for all children whether it be a daycare or preschool. We had the more at four program at my old school. It was a great program for families that couldn't afford to go into a private progam. I think it is also very beneficial for those students who come from other countries or who have parents who speak a different language. I do think that all students should have the opportunity to go to a more at four program regardless of the financial ability.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:02 pm

I think preschool is a great way to get children socially involved. I think that is something that is really easy to over look that school can offer. Also it offers a child variety and diversity stretching their minds in ways that home life wont be able to do. I think that getting children involved early will only help them in the future.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:16 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I personally feel as though i did not miss anything by not going into preschool, but there maybe some students that do actually benefit from them. I do think as though the sooner kids begin to learn the better off they will be when they began actual school.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think preschool can be important but I do not feel it should be forced down peoples throats. I think preschool is only effective if it is a good preschool. I started attending preschool when I was 3 years old and it definitely benefitted me. When I entered Kindergarten I was much more advanced than my fellow classmates. But I went to a pretty good preschool. I know in Burlington that preschools are really hard to get into, well the good ones at least. And even then they are expensive. A lot of people simply cannot afford it. And if they can afford it they are put on a year or two waiting list. Its ridiculous. So yes, i think preschool is beneficial if its a good school, otherwise, why waist the money?

Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]