View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 School Uniforms 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When going to school, one thing that everyone thinks about is what they wear. If you dont wear the right clothes, then you might not be accepted, compared to a person that does wear the clothes that are most popular. Do you guys think that school uniforms would be a good idea for public schools, or do you think that we should keep our individuality and keep a diverse group of students?

Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:30 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have always thought that whether a school has uniforms or not, students will still express themselves through their shoes, accessories, book bags, etc. I understand that some school systems do this to stifle clique and/or gang activity, but if you are in a clique or gang that will not change just because the school adopts a new dress code. These groups will find other ways to express their membership.

I think that individuality is very important and I think it will show no matter what a person wears. School uniforms would make it less of an issue about what to wear to school each day and may help the less socioeconomically advantaged students have sufficient clothing to wear. However, I do not think that I would have liked having them because uniforms take away my ability to choose what I wear and I enjoy having that ability.

Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that as far as school uniforms are concerned, I am definitely in favor of them. One of my family members currently teaches in a school district where they have a dress code and she said that it has helped alleviate a vast amount of problems that they had seen in the past (i.e. pants low, tank top straps). There dress code was strict in what was required but there was some flexibility. They had to wear khaki pants and a polo but the polo could be any solid color it just was not allowed to have logos on it. I think that at first it is hard to get people to warm up to the idea of a dress code but over time it is probably worth the hassle to institute it.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have never been one to favor the idea of having uniforms, but I do believe it would cut down on a lot of the hassle on dress codes. I remember my last two years in high school, my school became so strict about girls shorts being long enough, bra straps showing, boys pants too low. Our teachers would carry around rulers and measure from our knee up and see if our shorts were long enough, if not you were sent home. I think uniforms would help this problem. Because a student is not dressing correctly, now they are being sent home. I am sure there are many students who did dress that way did so just so they could go home and not be at school. So although everyone fusses and raves about uniforms, I really don't think it's such a bad idea.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:20 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think as far as school uniforms goes, I think it seems like a great concept, but I think it ends up being pointless. Yes, students are sometimes "shunned" if they don't have the cool clothing, etc., but if the uniform is a collard shirt and khakis, wouldn't it turn into who is wearing what brand of collard shirt and khakis? I think it seems ideal, but in reality, not so much.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:33 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Never been a fan of the whole school uniforms dress code. I went to a public school that didn't have one and everything seem to go ok as far as cliques and gangs being a problem. But I do think that they would be helpful in certain situations. If you are in a school were violence and other stuff is a problem then it might be a positive thing to implement a dress code.

Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:45 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Like Bronson, I have never been an advocate for school uniforms. I believe that there should be certain restrictions put on clothes that the students wear but I don't think uniforms is the hard fast answer.

Students should be able to express themselves through what they choose to wear. Reasons to implement a dress code, such as stifling cliques or gangs, will only cover up the fact that they may be present. A uniform will not prevent anything that is premeditated from happening anyway.

Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that school uniforms are a good idea. The school I worked in had a high level of gang activity whether it be the Bloods and Crips or the Serano and MS 13's. Although these kids were not yet in a gang they still represented their specific choice of gang. I have also talked to kids who have had to wear uniforms and they really didn't have a problem with it. In fact they said it was much easier since they didn't have to decide each morning what to wear. As for logos, most uniforms are bought at the same supplier so everyone is wearing the same brand.
I know that in Australia every school has a different uniform color. Therefore if something happens to a student on the way home from school then you know what school they came from which makes it easier to identify.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm really in between on this one. On one end, I feel that kids should be able to express themselves and be individuals and therefore, wear what they want. On the other end, I feel that kids can still do this with a uniform as long as you are not limited to what colors you wear, such as just school colors, and can wear whatever colors. But instead just have them limited to, for example: polos and khakis for boys, but where whatever color polo they want.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When it comes to this topic of discussion i have mixed emotions about the area. I believe that when it comes down to whether or not a student is getting picked on because of the clothes they are wearing, then i feel as though that uniforms would be beneficial. With uniforms you dont have to worry about if you are wearing the name brand clothes to fit in with your friends atleast everyone is wearing the same. But my other feeling is that when you start making people wear uniforms it takes away from their own individuality, i am a huge advocate for people being themselves and not just fitting in the crowd. so i am torn on this topic, but i can atleast see the pros and cons to each side

Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]