View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Bored or Lazy? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Someone mentioned in class last night about students in the classroom being extremely bored. It wasn't that they were just completely lazy, but bored. This got me thinking about how I believe its our responsibilities as teachers to reflect on our teaching process and how it appeals to students. How are students responding to us? If your getting the desired response out of some students, but not others, why is this happening? I believe teachers need to start taking more responsibility for their own actions/teaching style, and realize its our fault we don't get desire responses/outcomes from some students.

What is everyone else's opinion on this? How much responsibility falls on the teacher when students don't do their work or aren't paying attention? Are the students really just lazy, or bored?

Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:50 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that teachers do need to start taking responsiblity when students don't do work because it may be partly the fault of the teacher that some of the students don't do work. Some students don't do work because they are bored with and get nothing from it, another student my just not enjoy the work, another may not have the time for doing the work, another may not do it because they can't and prefer to not do it than to do it and be wrong, and others may just do it because they are expected to do it and get nothing out of it. Sometimes teachers tend to give students busy work just to be giving them some type of homework and review. I believe teachers need to know their students and figure out what students enjoy doing and what skill level each student is on. Based on the information that they come across they should base the homework and class work on the style that best meets the students needs. As future teachers it is time that we make a difference in classroom appeal! We need to make class and work fun!!!!

Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:43 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It was me that mentioned this because the term "lazy" really bothers me. As I observed my fifth graders last semester, I caught myself talking with other teachers and taking on that attitude of the students being lazy. I then realized after working with them, that they were not at all lazy, just bored. I was very disappointed in myself for allowing such a pessimistic view overcome me. As I observed, I realized that it was the teachers who were lazy. They just didn't want to take the time to make the subjects interesting; they just expected them to sit still and do their work. If they got something wrong, they were made fun of by the teacher and called lazy. I realized then that it is my responsibility to make sure these kids are having a good time while learning. Learning should be fun and every child wants to learn. They just need to be entertained...They are kids! I can't wait to teach and the way I see it...The classroom is my stage and I will give the best performance everyday to ensure that each student is learning in a fun and creative way! It is our responsibility to do whatever it takes to ensure the best education for every student and if we do not believe this, then teaching really shouldn't be our major!

Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:47 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Jonathan, I think it is up to the instructor with keeping the students on task and interested, but as discussed, there's still going to be some slipping off attention spans in the classroom - and going along with Mandi, It's a really good idea to watch what kinda communication you make with other instructors, especially when some students may be unknowingly in ear-shot- the term "lazy", like Mandi said, shouldn't be used for students, "bored" is definitely a more accurate description of what's likely going on, in the classroom. A student coined as, and expected to be, "lazy" will likely be.

I also agree with Jordan, we need to keep alive our motivation for making the classwork fun and interesting - for every student. I'm looking forward to hearing new and creative instruction methods, and cool new activities some of you may implement!

I have an additional question, somewhat pertaining to this post: How much should instructors be listening in to students on their conversations at break? Is this a time when an instructor can gain a better understanding of their students through eavesdropping or might this be a time when misunderstandings of personal discussions might occur? By listening, we might be able to understand more of the students' interests, but at the same time hear a partial conversation which could be misinterpreted? Don't get me wrong, I think the instructor should be aware of everything going on in the classroom as much as possible, but during change of class or on breaks, how much effort should be put into hearing students' conversations?

Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:23 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

A teacher should invite students to communicate with them during the 'break' time. I don't necessarily see anything wrong if a teacher wants to try and see what students are talking about during this time, but the teacher should just take what they hear and take it as getting to know the student better. If students are saying how much they hate the class, the teacher should take it as a sign that maybe they are doing something wrong and need to figure out a way for the students to like the class. Its somewhat subjective I think on what would constitute the teacher approaching a student over what they hear, and the only for sure thing would be if law required it for something such as suspected child abuse.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that every teacher should get to know their students, talk to them about how they learn. Teachers can really benefit from getting to know their students. Along with the multiple intelligences you as a teacher can adjust to the way each student learns. Teachers can teach each individual student, there is enough time in the day. Anyone teacher that argues this doesn't care about their class.

I can only imagine how I will feel when I have opened they learning gates for all of my students. To see my students improve will make me feel great about what I'm doing and will give me the satifaction that I need.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:21 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel like it is very important that teachers make sure they are catering to every child’s learning style. I have been in classrooms where it is all lecture, it's not that I don't care about the material it's just that I can't sit there and listen to someone for hours and take everything in. When this is the case I find myself doodling on paper or something else, therefore it may appear to the teacher that I am bored and don't care about the material when that’s not really the case. On the other hand, in classrooms where teachers are more hands-on, and up and moving in the classroom I feel like I get more out of the class. For example in my Dance App. class, my prof. always had us up dancing and learning the dances. At the time we all felt kind of silly, but when a test rolled around I could remember what that dance looked like when we were doing it and it helped me remember other information as well. Whereas last semester in my Dance History class, I don't think we got up once or did anything hands-on, and I don't remember anything from that class. So I think the children who may seem "board" in our classrooms, is because we as teachers are not catering to their needs as students.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:00 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think a lot of students' performance depends on the teacher. No wonder kids get bored when they are in a classroom that consists of nothing but lecture and busy work. It is our goal as the teacher, to cater to every student's individual learning styles and needs. We need to actively engage all students in learning, and as cheesy as this sounds, we need to do our best to make learning fun!

Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:36 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Lauren in fact that a lot of the performance of the kids do depend on us as teachers, and that we need to try and meet the needs of each kid. However I do realize that it is hard to meet the needs of every student, but it is our duty to try and do that. I think the way that we need to do this is try and find a way to relate to different kids. Some kids will learn in the same way and some kids want, but I think the key is for a teacher to know that there are different ways to teach some kids and the teacher that is the best at doing this will succeed in keeping there kids focused and not bored.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that most of the responsibility lies on the teacher to keep the students interested in class. I remember going through classes where the teacher was very boring and monotoned and I just could not get myself to motivated. I feel that we, as educators, need to come into the classroom or gym excited or seem excited to teach every day.

I also believe that many kids do come to school with poor attitudes and are just not in the mood to wanna listen to what teachers have to say. There are just going to be those students that you cannot get through as said as it sounds.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that teachers have sooooooo much to do on how students feel about the assignments they are given. If a teacher has the same tone, every day, day in and day out, its soooooooo boring and no student will be excited. Now, there is a difference of a teaching being upbeat/encouraging to acting like a clown and haivng 10 cups of coffee. Students will get bored after being in a class for long periods of time. What is it, like a 15 min. attention span before they start to wonder off. I think that if we give the children ownership in the lessons they are being taught, they wont get bored. Doing alot of interactive teaching methods would go great, such as having debate teams.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:03 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

the adult attention span is just under an hour for a "normal" adult, a child's is much shorter. We expect that the children sit in their seats and take notes or do busy work for extended periods of time. Of corse they are board. The pace of a class is its slowest learner leaving the faster one nothing to do. As teachers we need to break up the day even if it is just a two minute stretch break. We also need to provide those who get through work fast other things to be done. I will state that there are some people who just dont care and are lazy. A teacher should try to work with them if possible. I am not sure exactly what a teacher can do besides try and talk with them. This wont be solved with out the joint efforts of teachers, students, parents, and the other staff at the school.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The teacher sets the tone for the class. If they're excited = students are generally excited. If they're not...do something about it. Classroom reflects the teacher. The teacher should run the classes not the students running the classes. I feel like kids want to learn and if it takes the teacher keeping them busy and motivated, that's what their being paid to do.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:34 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I honestly do think most students are bored rather than lazy. I think one way to combat this boredom is with relevancy of topics that you are teaching. Obviously students are bored as hell in school, because most of the time no one tells them why they are learning something or what it actually as to do with their lives. If you can remember being a teenager, you are the most important person in your own life. It is hard to think outside of what is happening to you. So, as a teacher it is our job to get students to be able to relate what they are learning in school with their lives. For example, I have nothing against the classics, but it may not really benefit a student to read Charles Dickens if they are a minority, coming from a low socioeconomic status. Maybe an author is of the same background will offer some literature that the students can relate to. I think it's also important for teachers to have a sense of humor in the classroom to keep the students interested; you don't have to be a comedian, but the mood also doesn't have to be a somber and serious one all of the time.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:59 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

To a point, teachers should take initiative to be responsible for the success and interest in a class. In music, I think that means that we have to focus on modern music and traditional music appreciation as well as the classical repertoire set by the National SCOS. In my high school, the first semester was mostly sacred and secular pieces that spanned 2-3 centuries, yet the music was considered concert material. Second semester, we did competition (a continuation of 1st semester), yet we then did a spring musical and a dinner theatre that featured singing and dancing to modern songs (all the way from "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" to "Thriller" depending on the individual year's theme). I think that this is important to give students a variety of music to sing and learn from considering that current music has evolved from the classical music we study.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]