View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Religion Prejudice in School 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Why is it that in school every religion, but Christianity can be discussed in detail? Why is it that a teacher can spend two classes discussing what a religion other than Christianity is, where it came from, why people believe, pass out documents on it, etc.? Why can we discuss the theory of evolution, but not creationism?

I understand that some people get offended by Christianity, but people get offended by other religions too. Our country was formed on Christian beliefs. The government is based off of Christian morals.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:02 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is something I feel is becoming more of a double standard in our schools and it saddens me. Especially considering Islamic students are being granted prayer time during school hours.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i'm just hoping i can spend the class time discussing and encouraging good math skills - i hope a group of student's won't have to miss out on class time because of prayer, but i think it will be something i will respect (hopefully with written confirmation from parents and school approval) so long as it doesn't cause a frequent interruption.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:27 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is something I have often wondered about myself!

I agree with Jonathan that it really seems as though there is a double standard about religion in our schools. I feel that it is alright to talk about Christianity in school if you are also talking about other religions and I wish that some of my former teachers would have done so. It makes me feel somewhat excluded because it seems as though my religion is just being overlooked when others are discussed. I guess that gives us all a taste of what people of other religions have felt for many years.

Jordan, I am so glad you said what I have been thinking for a long time: "Our country was formed on Christian beliefs. The government is based off of Christian morals." I absolutely agree. I am surprised, but glad, that there have not been more controversies over religion in our country than there have. Perhaps that is because for the longest time we have been predominantly Christian.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I commend those of you who recognize the foundation of our country. This is often the topic of interest at my house. I have also wondered why is it that every other religion, except Christianity, seems to be more openly accpeted? I, as a Christian, am open to learning about new religions and accepting those different from myself. However, I find it sad and unfair that I was expected to learn about other religions, beliefs, (evolution), etc., but that teaching about creationism and christianity is ignored. Where did this barrier come from?

Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:42 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel this way as well. Being a Christen I sometimes feel like we are cheated out of our right to express our religion. I know it was a big ordeal in my high school when silent prayer and not being able to say "Under God" in the pledge was taken out of our school. Whereas a TEACHER at our school whom was Islamic was allowed time to leave the classroom and go pray during the day. I do not see how this is fair in any way shape or form. This is one issue that always gets me very frustrated.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:12 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am in complete agreement with everyone's statements. I believe in Christianity, and it seems that our nation has lost the interest and the history of what started this nation. I will respect and listen to every other religion but if we can't express ourselves in school then why should others. I think we need a little more respect for our roots.

Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:14 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you Jordan. I don't understand why discussing Christianity is frowned upon. I also don't understand why it is such a touchy subject, people tend to shy away from it so much.

Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:31 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Our country may have been founded on Christian beliefs, but in my opinion it is because this is true that teachers may not spend classes in public school teaching about Christianity. I think that like all other religions that are taught in history, Christianity should be looked at in a historical, social, and political context. However, I do not think that the study of Christianity needs to be implemented into high school classes. Personally, I feel like teachers probably spend more time teaching other religions because they are the religions that their students' parents probably haven't ever introduced them to or talked to them about. If anything, because our government is based (too much so in my opinion) on Christianity, other religions should be the focus so students know that there is a whole other world out there that is not American and is not Christian either.

Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]