View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Are You Accountable? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am a Music Education Major, and therefore, when I start teaching, I am going to be in one of the ever-dwindling field of class that do not have an end of course examination.

As was mentioned in class, some think that this is an awesome thing, and that it allows us to teach our material in what we see as the most effective manner without fear of a test at the end of the semester to sum up all of the students work for the course.

I am not all that sure that it is a great thing. Can we all be accountable without the test? Would the test be around if we could be? If no one had this test to worry about at the end of their classes, would our students gain as much?

Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the real question here is are our teachers competent enough to properly assess their students if there is not an EOG.

I believe that those of us who are concerned enough about this to discuss it, are likely competent enough to assess our students properly without the standardized test. The problems come to light when we stop trying to make improvements to our teaching and assessment methods.

I think the sad answer is that no, not all teachers can be held accountable for assessing their students properly without such final examinations and some students would not learn as much if they did not have EOG tests at the end of the year. However, many teachers are very much able to assess their students well without such tests, and in some cases, do a better job than those tests.

I do not think that EOG tests are there because teachers cannot be held accountable without them; however, that may be part of the reason behind them. I really think their purpose is to ensure that across a state/region our students are learning about the same types of things at the same grade level and have similar competencies when they move to higher grades.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

You are always able to hold your students accountable if you are measuring and evaluating their performance. Just because their is no EOG dosen't mean you can't evaluate their knowledge.

I'm a PE major so I am in a similar boat, there is no end of grade test. I will however still test students on thier knowledge of health related fitness. Without the end of grade test you can teach the material how you want to. And as long as you are keeping up with measurement and evaluation then you can prove to anyone that your program is worthy and students are learning the material presented.

Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:33 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am a physical educator like Rachel, so I tend to agree more in favor of her argument. Just because there is no EOG's doesn't mean that you can't hold your students accountable. Like Rachel said we in the P.E department are taught to keep up with what we teach and how the students react to that. This way we can understand how we are teaching and if there is any need for improvement there, or if the students are learning by the way that we are teaching. If, the students are not then evaluate your self, but if they are then you have something to go back to and let students and parents know how their students are doing. We will all be faced with a parent that is not happy, so with measurement and evaluation we have the evidence to show them and back our grades up.

Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:22 pm

To me, this issue is mostly a matter of what society deems as "important". Obviously, society finds the basic skills of math, reading, writing, science, social studies, etc. to be absolutely necessary in order to get a well-rounded, functional education. It is my opinion that while most of society enjoys listening to music, it is not seen as a typical career path or an essential element of our society. Naturally as a music major myself, i disagree and feel that if music were to vanish into the shadows in our culture somehow, many many people would find life less full as a result. As far as the issue of accountability, I think that while a standardized test would make accountability for music teachers more attainable, it would only create more testing for students, cost more tax dollars to implement, and even would take away from the freedom of the teacher to be as creative and inventive as possible. I would hope that teachers would hold themselves accountable for focusing their efforts in the classroom with the goals and objectives set forth on a national scale in 1996. I believe it was the goal of the educators who set these guidelines for proper musical instruction and skills to forgo the need for standardized testing while providing a framework for proper instruction.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:43 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Regardless of have the EOG in your subject area or not, I think that we all need to be accountable for assessing our students. If we don't assess our students we would not be able to improve on their weaknessess throughout the year. I think if teachers did not assess they would not be effective as teachers. My friend in Canada explains that they only have a standardized test in third, sixth and tenth grade. This test assesses the students as well as the teachers. This test also does not determine passing or failing their grade. I think this causes less stress on the students and more motivation for the teachers.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Adam as a fellow Music Ed. major I believe that we can be held accountable depending on whose job it is to hold us accountable. From other teachers in our respectful departments to the administration we learn that there are various levels of accountability. The method by which we engage in teaching as well as what is going on in our profession are always methods of keeping ourselves accountable. Although we do not have end of course testing or standardized testing, the evaluation of our students ability is given in live performance. I have never seen a math class go on stage and take an EOG. Not only are your students exposed as musicians but you are as a conductor each concert. You and I both know that you will loose your job if the principal, community, and school believe that you are not doing your job.

Jazz Certificate

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]