View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Native American Mascots 

Something as an athlete that has been an on going controversey is the use of native american mascots for schools and prof. sport teams. What do you think??

Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am conflicted on this issue. As a person with strong Cherokee heritage, I feel that the way that the Native American is portrayed by the majority of sports teams is largely inaccurate. True, some tribes of Native Americans were warriors, but many were not. Also, the terminology "Indians" should be used correctly, to denote someone from India. If these two things were changed, I think it would be wonderful for a Native American tribe in particular, or the people as a whole to be a mascot. The main thing is that the portrayal is accurate.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:13 pm

I think that portraying native americans inaccurately is unavoidable in our society that has more or less forgotten them. I feel like it should be left up to the native american community to decide how they would like it to be handled

Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:13 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I mean when you say "warriors" why does it have to come back to Native Americans why cant it just be warriors

war·ri·or [wawr-ee-er, wawr-yer, wor-ee-er, wor-yer]
1. a person engaged or experienced in warfare; soldier.
2. a person who shows or has shown great vigor, courage, or aggressiveness, as in politics or athletics.

It has nothing to do with Native Americans. And as for using the word Indian. Nobody is calling the Cleveland Indians the Cleveland Iroquois Indians. They have done a fairly good job taking the biases out of the names.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]