View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Bilingual or not? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was looking and didn't see that anyone had talked about this or not, so if they have I apologize. I want to know what you all think about being bilingual or not. Because we all know that this nation is becoming bilingual on a whole new level. This is something that I think is a must, but I wanted to get the comments from others. I think it is a must because to teach a student and be able to relate to them on a personal level could mean the world to them. So, what do you all think about this subject?

Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yes, I think that knowing a second language can only help you in the long run. More and more hispanics are coming in and being educated in our schools, it would make a huge difference if we as the teachers could communicate with them.

I also feel like being bilingual can only lead to more job opportunities. Kind of similar to the whole affirmative action thing, if two people are applying for a job and you are fluent in Spanish and the other candidate is not...Who are they going to pick?

Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:27 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Post YEs
why limit this discussion to spanish - what about the benefits to learning chinese? Did you know that english is part of the Chinese curriculum? If you move to a city it is likely that you will encounter many other languages and children of all backgrounds need and deserve bilingual teachers. You also get paid more.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It really pays off to know more than one language, especially Spanish. I never paid much attention in my high school Spanish class. I really wish I would have now! I eventually plan on making it a side hobby of mine to learn Spanish once I get all my schooling finished up and have more time to do that kind of thing leisurely.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Being bi-lingual is extremely important in today's society. Our communities need us to lead them from the wrath of ignorance that has begot generations of racism as well as prejudices. Outside of English and music I'm not fluent in other languages. Hopefully that will change. I challenge everyone to learn at least a little of 3 other languages before going to their grave.

Jazz Certificate

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:04 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Jared. As more Hispanics begin to have children who grow up in the US, they will know English as a language from birth. It has been seen before with many of the immigrants of our early history, just never on as broad a scale.

Considering most of our country's debt lies in Chinese banks there will be an increasingly greater demand for those who can work well with many of China's booming businesses; especially as they move away from Communist economic policies and adopt many Capitalistic ones.

I am 100% behind learning as many languages as possible as it opens up so many new ways to learn and experience new cultures. I just don't think we need to stress Spanish as much as many people believe we should.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:40 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that being bilingual should be one of the main focuses in any American school. I am sick of traveling and meeting Europeans (and those from other countries) who know three languages. It makes me feel lazy, and that I have been slighted in my educational career. I wish that I would have been forced to learn another language or two from the time that I was in kindergarten. Spanish is my minor, and having studied abroad in Chile I learned the hard way how difficult it can be to teach an adult a new language. It is much easier as a child, and I think that it will be valuable to everyone.

Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:59 pm

I think i am a bit of a rebel on this one, but i am not overly concerned with being bilingual. I took french in school when all my friends took spanish because it was all the school offered. i have really just never taken any interest in spanish, probly because of all the other languages we use in singing. I feel like bilingual teachers in mainstream classes is a huge boost for ESL students, and i think assimilating them into our values and language is not something we should do systematically. However, I will be exposing my students to several languages in my chorus class, and as a high school director, i would have an extremely difficult time with a student in my class who could not speak anything other than spanish.

I have never been to europe, but i do know that if you want to know three languages, you have to use them fairly regularly or at least extensively for some period of time. I think our one giant country has created a dynamic where it doesnt seem important to us to learn other languages, especially besides spanish. In europe, if you want to communicate with someone that is 150 miles away you probly have to speak another language.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:23 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Honestly, i see everyones case. As Jared and Robbie stated, a lot of our countries debt and manufacturing lies overseas, and mainly in China. I see a great case for making this lesser-known language a staple within foreign language departments in public high schools.

As most mentioned, a language that is increasing exponentially in the US is Spanish. I admit that I did take Spanish in high school and my father and sister both speak fluently (my dad was raised on a tobacco farm and learned it second hand and my sister took it in high school and never quit). In the community that I grew up, Spanish is becoming a second language that is used everyday. When I see my dad talk to young Hispanic students who are shy and they open up to him because there is no language barrier, I become deeply inspired to learn a language that is being used more and more each day.

As a vocalist and music major, I am taking German and French at the college level due to all of our repertoire that is mainstreamed into our course of study.

So, yes, I agree with everyone

Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:50 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I can see everyones point and agree that being bilingual will only be an advantage. But as far as from an education standpoint if you choose to teach in a classroom in America then in no way do i think you should be forced to learn a second language. Keep in mind that we live in America where the language is English. No doubt that learning a second language will drastically help, but i just don't feel that a teacher should have to have to explain things twice (once in English and again in another language). And I agree with Rachel that knowing a second language will only increase your chances of getting a job.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]