View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Classroom Management 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I guess one thing that has been on my mind lately, is the subject of classroom management. I feel that probably the only way to really work out classroom management is to be thrown into the situation of controlling a classroom and try and fail. However, sometimes I wish there was a class on classroom management that I could have taken that would somehow prepare me a little better for what I am about to do. If there was a classroom management class would you all take it? Also, do you already know how you are going to run your classroom? What strategies are you thinking of using?

Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In our physical education classes, we learn a variety of techniques to manage our class. This is the strategy I think works best:

Establish rules and routines early and hold students accountable for their behavior.

How is this done?
1) Teach classroom routines as content.
2) Make rules few and global (Student input is a good idea because if they help come up with the rules as a class, they commit them to memory easier).
3) Student's accountability for their actions will shape their behavior.

I hope this helps.

Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

One thing I know from being in a classroom situation myself as a teacher's assisstant you need to be firm, fair and consistent. If you do not follow through with what you say, the students won't respect you. I also found that it is way better if you reward the positive behaviors it is way more effective than paying attention to the negative behaviors. Simply saying "I like the way Sally is standing quietly in line" makes a world of difference. You will see all of the other students following what Sally is doing.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do have an idea of how I plan to manage my classroom and it is very much like what Elliott suggested. I hope to have general guidelines for the rules that I want my students to follow, but allow them to help me create a classroom rules list, perhaps on the first day of class. That way they can really feel involved in the management of the classroom because they took part in creating the rules. Like Elliott, I think that it is very important to teach the rules of your classroom during the first weeks of school so that they become second nature to your students.

Even though this is how I plan to handle managing my classroom, I feel somewhat like Tessa in that I think you have to be put in that situation before you can really see if your ideas work.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with above. Students input in the rules makes them more accountable for the rules. Post them in your classroom where they can always be seen and known, so students can claim they didnt know. Consistency earns respects. And dont give them a choice, in a nice tone tell them to sit down, read their book, etc.

This is the one aspect that I am really worried about. In high school their will be kids taller than me who might want to try and bully me. I guess I will try to stand my ground. But who really knows until you are actually a teacher?

Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In one of my classes at the community college I attended before coming to App we had a whole chapter on Classroom Management, but I do feel like I need more.
From that class I learned to set guidelines (as was stated above) but I also learned that organization in a classroom is a must. It is also good to develop a routine of activities so the students know what to expect, and hopefully follow the same routine if you are absent. When I say routine I mean, they know every morning when they come in that story time will be first, or we will do the calendar and the weather first. OR you will check their homework first thing, and then get their lunch orders, and then do math and so on and so on. I think routines help with classroom management a great deal. (just make sure to post your routines or leave a note for the sub to know them )
Another important thing I took from that chapter is to always keep communication lines open. If the students know what you expect most of them will try to live up to your expectations. (dont be tooo hard but dont be a softy because then they will walk all over you)
I dont know if any of this makes sense or answers your question. but I hope it does. :)

Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I second what Eli wrote. We are taught in our PE classes what works and then yeah it is all about getting thrown into a situation...crashing and burning but then learning from that experience. I know that I've had a lot of those situations in the times I've spent teaching and at camps. You live and learn, even in the classroom.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:41 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have found that people can tell you all kinds of strategies to use in a your classroom to inforce discipline. However, what works for some doesn't always work for others. I have found that by establishing the first few days or weeks that you are the one who runs the class and the students will listen to you then you have set up a form of respect that the students do pick up on. I found that students, especially the young students, long for discipline (even though they are not going to tell you and go against it when you do discipline them). I went into a class being stern and making the kids do their work and I didn't tell them the answers, but made them show me and tell me how to do it until they got to an answer. When I left that classroom those kids were shouting that they loved me and I was their best friend; however, I was very stern when it was called for. Also, no matter what strategy you do use or come up with, make sure you inforce the consequences equally and fairly. Don't give one student more chances to do right before being punished than another student. This will set up for students to not like you, see favorism, and to bully the student who gets the benefit.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:27 am

The PE department definitely has provided a strong outline when it comes to classroom management. I think that these are a great start, but it is really up to the teacher and their ability to impliment these rules. Taking the time at the beginning of the year to really solidify them and be consistant about expectations is key. Earning the respect of students is more important than being their friends.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that we are not properly prepared for classroom management. It was always small talk in most of my classes until I actually worked in a school where a teacher told me that classroom management is one of the number one reasons why teachers leave the field. She herself was a strict teacher but she cared about her students. She demanded respect and was consistant in everything she said. I admire her alot and for the most part, I think I will stick to being a teacher first and then their friend! If there were a class on management I would take it. Agreeing with the P.E majors, I think the most classroom management skills that I have received have been from the class, "How Children Move."

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:50 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that there are probably a lot of strategies out there, but that we individually just have to find what works best for us. I am personally terrified of being in charge of a classroom. I want to be close with my students and have them know that they can come to me and be open, but I don't want to be so nice that they run over me. I also don't want to be so harsh and strict that they dislike me. I think this is something that I am just going to have to do trial and error and find my own way.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:16 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In music, classroom management has a lot to do with pacing. Although the students should have an input in their classroom behavioral consequences, I dont think that is all that needs to be done. Personally, I want to be a demanding music teacher, because I know that I will push them to understand themselves and their lives better through music. By expecting nothing but the highest in a classroom, students strive to achieve opportunities that are at a competitively higher level.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]