View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Racism in America 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Everyone always talks about whites being the racist. But, has anyone ever considered that whites are victims to racism as well.

A big racist thought about whites is that whites are racist. For example, there have been court cases over racism. Whites are always the victims of these court cases. They are blamed for being racist towards a person. There are cases in school where a black student and white student, who are friends, are messing with each other for fun and someone sees. The next thing you know both are in the Principal's office and the white student has OSS because they were messing around, yet the black gets to go back to class like nothing happened. There was no attacking going on in this situation, yet becuase the black was seen as a minority they got off and the white was seen as attacking a race. Race may have been an issue in the past, yet today things have changed. Why is it that those who were once thought of as a minority wants to attack the white society based on things those in today's society had nothing to do with?

(I know this probably offends some people. However, it needs to be realized that whites are attacked just as much as any other race. There are more races than black and white, we need to open our eyes and realize we are in the year 2008 not the year 1920.)

Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:08 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

You may be speaking of a particular situation where someone in power reacted irrationally and a white person was unjustly punished. But to compare the prejudice seen against blacks to a random situation of hardship by a white person minimizes and discredits just how vile the African-American experience was. I doubt you meant your post maliciously but I believe it should be seen as offensive. We mustn't make light of the atrocities humans have placed upon each other or they will continue.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I tend to come from personal experience that really scared me a lot when I was thinking about this as well. I was once cornered in a mall by a gang and basically called a racist. Guys that were a foot taller than me were up in my face pushing me towards a wall and not letting me go and saying things to me simply because I was a white, female at the mall with two other girls. I don't understand how someone of another race can corner me, question me, and make fun of me just because I'm white. This could happen to anyone. But, honestly it was one experience that has caused me to not go to a mall without a guy with me. So, some whites made a mistake in the past. Before all the racism began, whites were slaves to other whites and blacks were slaves to other blacks and so on with other races. People make mistakes and learn from it. So mistakes were in the past, can we not learn from them and put what we learn into the future? Or are we going to spend the future trying to treat others a certain way because the way family members were treated in the past? The only way to rid racism is to learn what happened and find a way to look on to a future that will not include what happened in history. One thing I learned in history class is history always repeats itself (teacher said it constantly). Let's nip racism while we can so it doesn't continue.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I wish that we all could realize that we are in the year 2008, the past is behind us and I'm speaking to all races when I say this. You would have thought that the world has risen above racism, but we have not. I still can turn on my television and see hate crimes or racial comments on the news.

I feel as if the situation will never be eliminated, we will always have race issues floating around. I wish that everyone could except people for who they are and go on living.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:10 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't tend to have pity on races put I do have pity on those who don't know what the world is like outside of the South. Race is an American phenomenon. In order for us to be effective teachers we have to get over this small corner of society in which we live and learn to accept people for what they are. What will you do if your students are all black, Asian, or Hispanic?

Jazz Certificate

Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:04 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I won't have a problem teaching other races as long as I can speak the choice language, which is why I think that all teachers should be bilingual at this point. This is something that I plan on achieving before putting myself in a classroom with many different culture backgrounds. But, coming from a small town and it being predominately white, it was different for me to go play college baseball with people of other races. But it made me realize that every race has its good and its bad. Every race deals with racism but I think that we are in the right direction because we have taken a big step forward from recent years with this issue, and I am glad to be a part of that.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have to agree with Robbie's post. I was a little confused after reading the first post. I understand that personal experiences have an effect on the way you view the world, but what I think is most important, and what we have to remember as teachers, is that we have to allow ourselves to see the bigger picture or we will simply perpetuate what we hate in the world. I am sorry that there was a bad experience for one white person, and I understand how that shapes your views, but it is undeniable that African-Americans have had to deal with things a white person could possibly not even imagine. It is important that we do not just ask all African-Americans to simply learn from the mistakes that white people made. It is not that easy.

Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]