View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Coaches 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

For those of you who plan to coach a sport or two as well as teach, how many believe that coaches are poorly paid along with their typical teaching salary?

I feel that coaches don't get the pay or as good of benefits as they deserve in most cases. Coaching takes up a lot more of your life than teaching does, especially for those who assist with a couple of sports throughout the year. Are coaches under paid, what are your opinions?

Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would agree that coaches are underpaid. It does take up a lot of time to prepare for classes and practice each and every day.

But I also believe that some teachers/coaches get too caught up in coaching that it takes away from their teaching. I think that as long as a they can learn to be a teacher first and then a coach, I don't think underpayment will be an issue.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Balance in everything is great. As far as coaching and teaching...let's strive for balance. It's a great thing to be able to coach and empact students' lives. I'm excited to not get paid a lot to coach.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:42 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that coaches are underpaid, but I knew that when I was thinking about going into coaching, that it sure as heck wasen't going to be for the money. Its about still being around the game or event and impacting the student athletes that we will be coaching. I mean think about it as coaches. We teach from 8-3 during the day then practice from 3-6 or 7 depending on sport and time during the season. Then after that you got film study of the sport and then making out the practice for the next days practice!! Its alot of time involved! But I think that us as coaches need to give an equal balance to teaching and coaching, becasue it will be really easy to focus more on coaching and practice, than it would be for teaching and our lesson plans. Because after all, we came to college to become teachers, not coaches.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:59 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Coaches are underpaid, but it is what it is. I'm sure you're not coaching for the money, you're coaching because you want to make a difference in kids lives.

We can talk about it all day long, but the pay for coaches will never change. Do it because you love it not because you want the extra money.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:11 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:25 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Coaches get paid? I had no idea. I'm glad, however the question raises more questions. Are other teachers compensated for their after-school activities? I'm talking marching band, chorus, theater... My impression is that after-school activities are one area that all teachers get the shaft because schools always want teachers to do more with little or no compensation. Somebody calculated teacher pay on an hourly rate in another post... how would this change when a teacher gets paid (or not) to coach or direct an after school activity?
I think that it would be fair to have coaches teach less than other teachers. With multiple sports with multiple seasons this could work out relatively easy - take two teachers, one who coaches in the fall and the other in the spring and have one teach full time when the other teacher isn't. Pay them all as if they taught full-time because they deserve it. If I ruled the world...

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yes coaches are underpaid but like Jared said why stop at coaches when you have got tons of other people staying for extracurriculars. People like advisors for clubs and people who organize events for the school. I know for a fact that some coaches get additional money from their respective schools booster clubs. I am looking forward to coaching and the fact that i even get a supplement for doing it is great because i would do it for free. But they are still underpaid considering the hours.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]