View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Teacher Families 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

How many of you guys come from a family where at least one parent is a teacher?

It seems the vast majority of education majors come from a teaching family, my mother, aunt, uncle and grandmother have worked as teachers or administrators in schools.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My mother was a substitute on many occasions, and way back when PTA/PTO was the active participation of parents for school programs, events, bazaars, and teacher conferences, she was pretty well involved in my elementary school career.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:09 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My mom worked as a preschool teacher for many years as I grew up. In fact I taught with her during the summer ever since I was little. Both my parents were active in the schools we attended.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Surprisingly I haven't come from a family of teachers. My mom was a school nurse and she taught sex ed and puberty classes but that's about the closest thing. I think it's cool for me though to be the first in my family. I guess I've been brought up in a dynamic family that I was wanting to do something a little different.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:44 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I came from a home where my mother was a teacher. My grandmother and grandmother were also teachers. I come from a family where we can trace teachers back to a one room school house. I think that there is a gene that causes children of teachers to occassionally have the same passion to teach there parent has. However, I think that some people do get the yearning to be a teacher through life experiences as well.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:21 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My grandmother worked as an elementary school secretary most of her career and my aunt currently works in a middle school as a technology assistant. Therefore, I have been around people who have worked in schools, but neither of them was/is actually a teacher.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am going to be a first generation school teacher myself. I think it can be a both an advantage and a disadvantage that I will be the first in my family to be a teacher. I personally try to ask advice from multiple individuals that have had experience with teaching, and I have found that I get a better and well rounded view and perspective on teaching by doing that. I think that if I would have had a teacher as a close relative growing up that I would base most of my teaching style and philosophy off of what he/she did as a teacher. I think that would be great if that family member would have been an excellent teacher but only continue a bad cycle if they were a horrible teacher. I sometimes wish I did have someone close in the family to draw from his/her personal experience and gain encouragement from, but I am glad that I have the challenge of looking elsewhere for advice as well. It has helped me to grow stronger and more confident as a future teacher by gaining multiple perspectives throughout my college career by talking with teachers from different and unique backgrounds.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am also going to be a first generation teacher. My parents are extremely supportive of my decision, and have been very interested in my education and learning to become a teacher.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:10 pm

I definitely come from a teaching family on both sides...I dont know if its the benefits or something about being good at conveying knowledge, but it does seem like a lot of ed majors are from teaching families to some extent.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As some of those above, my family is mainly teachers or school workers. Every member of my immediate family, my parents and sister, is a teacher, not to mention that both of my grandmothers were school secretaries and my first cousin is a senior here at ASU as a elementary education major (Maggie, my dad also taught sex education at our school...). Although my parents have been supportive in the long run, they did question my reasoning as to why I wanted to teach and tried to get me to look at other professions that I was interested in, including Epidemiology, Accounting, and Industrial Engineering.

I will admit that it has been helpful to have family members that I can call to get advice or help from, whether it be field-based or educational belief based. Growing up in a educational household prepared me for some of the horror stories that exist in the classroom and let me make my own opinions on some controversial topics, such as No Child Left Behind and Sex Education.

So, overall, I guess I would have to say that having educators in my family has benefited me, but it has seriously made me think about my teaching philosophy and my role as a teacher.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When i look at the family members that are/were in the educational field my uncle is a principal at a private christian school and then my grandmother worked as a teachers assitant in a second grade classroom early on in her career.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]