View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Staying around home or getting away? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If you teach somewhere near home (especially if it is in the same school system, if not same school), then you know the evils and goods of your environment. You understand how things work, the socio-economic status of the community, the location of the area, and if working at your alma mater, the people that you are working with. Although this may lead to a biased experience, it is a common one.

About a month ago, I found out that a music education position will be open when I graduate. I am completely torn about whether I would want to accept it (if it was offered to me) because even though I have the advantage of knowing the community, people, etc, it is an elementary school and I want to focus on choral education (middle-high school) and eventually get my masters and doctorate in conducting, which I would not be able to work on when teaching at an elementary school.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:25 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the number one fear and chief reason why I dont want to leave the area is because I would have to leave behind my comfort zone. However I know that if I do decide to leave and for some odd reason were to fail at what I was doing, that I would always have something to fall back on. That said I think I want to move away at least for a little while.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2