View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Staying around home or getting away? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm curious to see how many of you future educators are planning on finding a job around the area you are from or if you are looking to venture out a little further and get away from home?

I always hear people saying how they can't stand where they are from and are ready to just get away.

Personally, I want to find somewhere to teach around home. I'm a family guy and need to be in at least driving distance of my family. Plus, my area is boring, but I still like it and call it home. I guess this decision could be foiled though depending on if you have a significant other that you are planning on getting serious with.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have been asked this question a lot by my friends and family.

Like you, Ben, I am a family guy and I love my family very much. But as of right now, I want to move away from my home town to settle down. I would like to be within driving distance of home but I plan on going where the jobs are.

After I graduate, I want to attend graduate school at Carolina and after that I want to be an athletic director for a university or high school. My parents and family have always wanted the best for me so they will be happy with whatever I decide to do. As long as I come home to visit every chance I get. Haha.

Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Oh I'm for sure moving back to LA (Lenoir Area). I can't stand to be away from the family and I can't wait to be able to teach kids that my are my friends' children. haha I think it would be awesome to do that. Maybe not sometimes though. I can't wait.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:43 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I tell you guys what, we sure do love home. I want to go back home so bad and teach/coach at the high school I went to. I loved the community I grew up in and I think that having my family around me when I first start teaching would be a great addition, because if I have a bad day I can always go over to moma's house and talk to her. I also think that by me coming to college and not going home so much got the living away out of me and I really can't wait to go back and start teaching.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:06 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely want to return home to teach. It is very important for me to be close to my family.

I also really like the idea of teaching in the community I grew up in because I know so many of the families of the children I will be teaching. I think that connection is important.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It's funny that you asked this. I am from Burlington, better known as borington... But I LOVE IT. I moved to Burlington when I was 3 years old from Cary, and I want to raise my future kids there. All of my friends back at home were dying to get out after High school and many of them have already returned. I think its hard to stay away from home. I know some people who leave and never come back but i will never be one of those people.
(sorry im rambling... )TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION...
I will probably not teach in Alamance County because pay is ONE of the worst in NC and they get very little support from the state for supplies and such. And I know that sounds bad but I feel like I will most likely END UP in Alamance but I will probably start off in Guilford County or Wake, Orange, or Chapel Hill - Carrboro. Which are all surrounding counties so YES I will be back at home working. haha (this was a long and annoying way of answering the question but.. oh well :) )

Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I will defiantly return home to teach, my family is the most important thing to me. My friends up here always pick on me because I go home so much, but I feel having that close of a relationship with your family is really important. Like many others have said I think it will be neat to teach the children from the families in my community that I know, or went to school with myself.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:16 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

There is no question about it, I plan on returning home and finding a job near home. I am currently talking to a school right now that is 15 minutes away from my house. I come from an area that has many great schools in the area and many good opportunities as a teacher. The only thing that I see playing a role in my life one day that may force me to move outside of my home area is when I get married. If the guy I marry has to move for a job, obviously I will find a new teaching postion in the area. Sacrifices have to be made in situations; however, if up to me I will stay in my home area.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:30 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I plan to teach in Charlotte, which is only an hour and a half from home. I will not go any futher then that at first! I miss my family so much and I don't want to go to far away!

Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:38 am

You guys make me feel like an a-hole. I plan on teaching away from home and hopefully in a different state all together. I like having all four seasons and a lot of places in North Carolina doesn't have that. I also just like the idea of challenge of starting from almost scratch.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm with Rob, I want to move away and try to start something for myself. I want to keep a good connection with my family but I think if I stayed in LA (no offense maggie) I would go crazy from being surrounded by the same people my whole life. I may not do it right after college, but I wouldn't mind living anywhere in the country to meet new types of people and see things that aren't what I've been accustomed to my whole life.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm very much a family oriented person, my parents and brother are my best friends. With that being said it's [b]time to venture out[/b]. I'd love to work in Raleigh, Cary, or Wilmy (Wilmington).

My family has been in education in the area for way to long, I know that I will always be referred to as "that's Coach Willard's niece," or that's Sam McRee's daughter. I want to make a new start, make a new legacy!

Plus, Newton-Conover is a joke, I would never want to raise my children there. I'm still pissed that Harris-Teeter closed down due to dirty Wal-Mart.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:18 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am definitely a family oriented individual. Therefore, I will probably be staying close to home as a future teacher. Even though I want to stay close to home, I once heard some really great advice about teaching near home. The advice went something like this; if at all possible teach at least one county away from your home. The teacher giving the advice explained that when she goes out to relax...maybe enjoy a drink or something...she doesn't want to constantly be bothered with community gossip or students asking questions at school about what they witnessed her doing out in public on her free time. I personally think she made a wonderful point and I think I will be following her advice on that one, and living a county or so away from my school of employment if possible.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have always imagined myself going back home to teach. My entire family on both sides lives in the same town, and I love being around my family more than anything. However, I think while I am still young and single, I might try the Charlotte area. I did an orientation program in Cabarrus county, and loved it there! But when it comes time to settle down, I will hopefully be back home in Haywood County! That is where my heart is!

Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:21 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm thinking hawaii might be far enough away. Maybe Chile?

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Its looking right now that I will probably start off away from home, but I would definitely like to be back around home. I love home though, so even if I do start away from home I see myself making frequent trips back on the weekends when work and the gas $$$ allow it.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Although I'm close to my family, I think that traveling is very important. I especially want to be well-traveled when I become a teacher so that I can be someone that promotes understanding other cultures, in and our of our own country. Therefore, I hope to teach in a couple different places. I think much is gained when a teacher is from a different place in the world than the students. I'm from Pennsylvania, and plan on student teaching in Asheville. After that I don't know where I'm headed, but I would love to try teaching out west and/or in inner city schools. I think experience is the best educator.

Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:05 pm

For me, its a career thing. I honestly still dont know if i want to be a career teacher or if i will end up focusing on music performance at some point. Either way, i plan on moonlighting as a musician during my teaching, so im hoping to find a job in an area that has a good music scene. Obviously the first choice would be in the Asheville area, but who knows...

I would be interested to know how many of our ED majors are planning on leaving NC to teach...

Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm sort of in the same boat as Kelly. I will go where my profession leads me. Jobs in our field just aren't a dime a dozen, and for me, the most important thing is that I get to do what I love. That being said, I wouldn't go back to my home school system to teach for all the oil in the Middle East. This is for two reasons. The first is that I crave new experiences. I have been truly blessed during my life to have been able to do an immense amount of traveling far out of my socio-economic sphere. Because of this, I know that there are so many new an awesome places that I can go to ply my craft. The second is, as far a music educators go, my home system is set. This has nothing to do with not being able to find a job there, but more with the fact that my system already has quality music educators. I want to go to a system that does not have the great band directors. That is where my education is preparing me to go; into a school system that is lacking so that I can create a program that will help students more that what is already being done.

And besides, I'm with Jared. Chile is beautiful this time of year!

Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:37 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I want to be in the Southeast where I can get sweet tea. I know how to relate to southerns for the most part. And I don't want to live in the very cold. I wouldnt mind being nearing my family and CMS but I dont know that I would want to teach in any other CMS school then mine b/c it was one of the rare good ones.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next