View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Having Children one day... 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm curious to see how many women or men are going to take some years off of teaching when or if you start having children.

I'm planning on taking a few years off when I start having kids because I feel a strong need in being there with them in the younger years.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:48 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I fully agree. When I have children one day I plan to take a few years off from teaching and dedicating myself to being a mom. I would like to be able to stay home with my children and get involved with their schooling as much as possible through volunteering and going on trips. My mom was there for me and I really enjoyed the time. It's almost like it's time for that child and parent to spend quality time together if there are other siblings that are usually around. I plan on being very active in my children's education. I don't think I would return to teaching until my children are first or second grade, this being the soonest I would consider returning.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:34 am

I will def take time off from teaching when I have kids. My mom was home with me and my sister when we were younger and would feel like I was missing out on a very important time in my childrens lives if I didnt. I know that once my kids get older too I would still like to be home when they get home from school.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:07 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am not really sure about this question. I mean I could sit here and say yes I plan on taking off and raising my children and spending time with them and such. However, my future husband is going to be a city cop, and we will have similar incomes. I'm not sure I could just quit work to raise my children and still be financially stable. My ideal plan would be to take off work and raise my children until they start kindergarten, with possible substitute teaching on the side. But I do not know for sure, and I will not know for sure until that time comes. :)

Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:43 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I hope to be able to take time off to raise my children. Letting my wife go back to work while I stay at home is not something I would be against. If being "Mr. Mom" could be better economically for the family then why not? Im also an excellent 'Price is Right' player.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:46 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I most definately will stay home until they go to pre-school! I don't like the idea of strangers raising my children for me if I can help it! I want to provide all the emotional and educational support that I can. Now as to when I will be ready for that, I don't know. Hopefully by 27, but wow, that's not that far away!

Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:07 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Honestly, I haven't really thought much about this topic. I could definitely see myself taking some time off. I think as a mother, I would want to be there for those early years of my child's life, and would so enjoy the time with them. So, I guess I probably will take some time off, if it is a possibilty financially with my family.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:24 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I guess it depends on the situation. I'm not sure I'll take time off from teaching, but I would most likely like to take time off from coaching. That's one thing that has been on my mind from time to time. Being someone who wants to have a family and kids, i know not only being a teacher, but also most likely being required to coach will be a sacrifice to time spent with the family. Ideally, I would like to be able and make more time for family when that stage of my life comes, but financially I'm not sure it'll be possible. We will at least have the option of having any time during the 2 months of summer off if we want. So you could plan ahead and schedule your children to be born around the time you'd be off for summer.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Post yes
If I do ever have children I will definitely tap into my one year of unpaid leave if at all feasible. peace.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have to agree with what has been said already, if i have to stay at home then i will be all for it, whatever is better suited for the economic status of my home, then thats what ill do for my family. But right now the plan is to have a stable job and finish my education before a family is even thought about being started.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:14 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yes it would be nice to be take off a year or take to raise your kids but unless you have a significant other making a nice sum of money I hate to tell you its probably not going to happen. But like Josh said its best to have a very stable financial situation before that is even thought about.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:19 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Robbie. If being "Mr. Mom" is more economical, then that is fine with me. I havent really thought about this subject extensively because I guess I always assumed that I would continue teaching, just as my parents did. I think alot of this depends on what the cost of living is where you are and if you have family and relatives around that can help in the raising of kids. My sister is getting married next year (sometime) and my mom keeps trying to get her and her fiance to live less than 1 hour away so that she can babysit her grandkids. I guess I understand that, but I would love to be able to watch my kids grow up.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]