View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 For the love of the subject 

Sean brought up a couple of interesting points a couple of classes ago one was about how it helps to stay in the teaching profession if you love what you teach. Something about music teacher s will go home, listen and create music in their free time where as a math teacher won’t go home to work on algebraic equations. Sorry if I misquoted it was awhile ago.

But with that said, I fully expect to be a math teacher my two concentrations are math and science and there seems to be a much larger lack of math teachers. I like both my subjects just fine but I agree that I won’t go and do obvious mathematical equations or science experience, they may occur as I think but it won’t conscientiously happen.

In the Middle Grades education classes the subjects and methods practices have thus far, been second priority to student advocacy and trying to instill a mentality of students first. Which makes sense from a teaching prospect but maybe it has the added benefit of making sure that the teacher doesn’t burn out on the subject?

p.s. i'm planning on reacting to the other thing in another topic starter because it only vaguely relates to this one and this is only my second post.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Rob, I'm not sure if I understood what you were trying to say in that post, but in reaction to what Sean said, I agree with him because I am always excited to see what kinds of new technology is coming out or what kinds of business moves are making the news (my degree is Business Ed. with a conc. in Computer Information Systems). I think this will keep me from burning out because in technology classrooms, the majority of the content is always changing.

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I think all subjects are changing, and what we teach in history our first year may not be exactly what we are teaching our last year because world events and culture is changing everyday.

I think this makes teaching fun because its not a mundane, stagnate job where you perform mindless tasks everyday, its engaging, changing, and challenging.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Like someone said in class, "who is going to get off work and go hope and work algebra problems to relax?!"

An afterschool programming course way back in 9th and 10th grade gave me some basic and pascal language experience, along with a bonus point for the class, working with computers can always be fun, particularly as new developments are becoming more and more accessible via the inet.

There's so many math conjectures out there I hope to find time on which to dabble, so many I think could be of interest, or interesting, when introduced to a HS math class; who knows, there may even be those savant - mathmeticians from which the entire class could learn?!

Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:57 am
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have to agree with Client on this subject. I choose to be a teacher, because I don't want to become bored. Times are changing everyday and yes we still teach some of the same stuff, but each year will be filled with a new group of students. These new students will bring about challenges and new ideas. No I may not go home and practice english or math everyday for fun, but I will think about my students and new exciting ways to teach them. I think that all to often, teachers get stuck in the same way of teaching and that's why they become burned out. We have got to realize that each student is different and each group of students is different. If we truly have the passion to teach, then we will be going home and enjoying coming up with new ways to educate our students!!

Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:21 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

To be a successful teacher you have to Love what you teach if you dont then that will show through in your classroom, if you are an avid believer in what you teach then the students will share your enthusiam for the subject. I chose science and social studies since i am a middle grades major, these two areas are not the usual pairing but they are they two that i truly would enjoy teaching and i know that i could have a lot of fun with.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]