View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Sex Education 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was just curious as to what you guys think is the best sex education program for schools:

Comprehensive Sexuality Education or Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage?

Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:18 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am actually doing a powerpoint on this topic right now. I strongly believe in Comprehensive Sexuality Education because we are doing an injustice to our children by pretending that no on has sex until marriage. Statistics show that Abstinence before marriage does not work, but yet we still emphasize this message more than actually educating kids about sex. I often wonder how many of our own parents have had sex before marriage!

Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:10 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely agree with Mandi on this one. Comprehensive Sex Education is the way to go. We can't change society, but we can give the children of today a better understanding and knowledge about sex in our society. I believe that sex education today will be more about reducing the amount of early or unwanted pregnancies and how to keep yourself safe from STD's.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:40 pm

Definitely Comprehensive. We are doing students an injustice not covering all options they may or may not have that will protect them from STD's and pregnancy. I believe that the leading cause to unprotected sex is ignorance and fear. If students are taught abstinace only, contraceptives recieve a negative stigma on them causing the youth to avoid protecting themselves. Comprehensive is not condoning premarital sex, it is just providing information.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am 100% for Comprehensive Sex Education. I always think that someone is better equipped to make decisions if they are provided with all of the relevant information...it just makes sense right? Well, apparently not for the majority of NC. I think that there are only 13 counties in NC that are for Comprehensive Sex Education. I also find it ironic that the majority of NC is still Abstinence Based even with all of the facts, figures, and statistics that prove that when Comprehensive education is taught then teen pregnancy and STD rates drop simultaneously. Obviously, being a future teacher I support education in order to promote proven healthier alternatives especially when it comes to sex education.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have to agree with everyone else here... Comprehensive. Watauga is abstinence-only, and I remember being told about 3 years ago that 75% of the sophmore class had herpes. The moral of the story? Don't fool around with locals. Seriously though, I talked to kids who had been told that herpes can't be communicated unless there are visible sores. They didn't learn that herpes can be communicated even when there is no visible outbreak in their abstinence-only classes, not to mention that abstinence-only sex ed directly corresponds to higher incidences of pregnancies.
Another anecdote - has anyone talked to people who don't consider anal sex to be intercourse? Let's just own up to the fact that as humans we ALL like to bump like bunnies; there's no stopping it. I'm fine with telling kids not to have sex - in my opinion high-school age students shouldn't be - just make sure they know what to do if and WHEN they make that decision.
Let me throw out a different question in response to this one... How many feel comfortable sharing whether or not they were sexually active in high school? How many of you had abstinence only sex-ed (if you're from nc and you did not go to school in chapel hill or wilmington that's you)

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:54 pm

Personally, i am all for the comprehensive approach. I think that enough kids will have sex before marriage to warrant a solid education on birth control and condoms. Each family's values aside, sheltering children instead of educating them can do them more harm than good.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Definitly comprehensive, as everyone else has stated, if you go the route of abstinence only then the students are not going to know what to do or how to protect themselves from what is out there if they make that choice to have sex. I do think that you should introduce the idea of abstinance and let them know that is a choice that they can make but it is not the only route for them to take.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]