View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Homework 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't know about anyone else, but I am personally not a fan of outrageous homework assignments. :) One of the things that I think is a huge trend now is structured homework assignments for elementary children. What is with all of the out of class work for kids? I personally do not remember one time in elementary school where I was asked to do any homework outside of class, except for maybe reading a book for fun...not a graded assignment. I don't know maybe those of you going into elementary ed can help enlighten me on this matter, but i think that if you are doing your job as a teacher in the classroom then you shouldn't have to depend on after classroom assignments to do the bulk of the teaching-learning process for the students. So I guess what I'm asking...is homework really necessary for students, especially at the elementary level, to learn adequately or should it be up to the teacher to meet the needs in the classroom without sending assignments home?

Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I certainly remember having a great deal of homework in elementary school, especially in the higher grades. I also recall completing several large projects outside of class during those years.

I think that with all the pressures elementary school teachers are put under now to meet such rigid standards, there is no way for children to not have some homework. Obviously, I do not think that elementary students should have multiple hours of homework every night, but I believe that homework is great re-enforcement for the information learned in a day of school and can show the teacher who really grasped the concepts taught.

Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As an elementary educator, I have to somewhat agree with Erin. I don't really agree with massive amounts of homework for this age group, but some homework can help the teacher see how the student is doing. Another problem with assigning too much homework, is that parents may not be aware of how to do the homework themselves. I feel that the homework should be graded on more of a check or check minus instead of pressuring grades. I like this concept because if you're using homework to see how well the students are grasping the concepts then you shouldn't fail them if they aren't getting it right. They should be retaught! Too many times teachers fail the student by not reteaching them.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:05 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I always hated homework as a student,however, now that I am going to be a teacher, I understand the reasoning on giving homework. On the other hand, I don't believe it is necessary to overload students. As a middle grades teacher, I will assign homework, but nothing excessive. I also think students need the weekend off, so I could see myself not giving homework on Fridays.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:13 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In respect to high school classes, I think that homework is a necessary evil. However,this does not mean that you have to give horribly boring assignments every night, or loads of reading to students. I plan on giving homework to students, but am going to attempt to make it interesting. If homework is the least bit boring, many students will simply not complete it. I think that giving some homework is a good way to get students prepared for college, and it also gets them to take on a little bit more responsibility with their own education. One thing I hope that I never do is assign big projects or assignments over breaks. I absolutely hated that when I was high school, and I think as a teacher you need to realize that just like you the students have lives outside of school. Everyone needs a break sometimes.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:46 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Isn't it the new trend in schools to cut out homework at the elementary level? I also think it is necessary for middle and high school students, but I'm pretty sure that in elementary schools teachers are starting to push for the elimination of homework. (Elem. people have to correct me if I'm wrong)

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think when it comes time to my classroom that i will at all cost avoid giving my students homework, what will become homework is the work that they do not finish during actual class time. I was in a classroom this past semester and that seemed to work out the best for teachers and students.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:22 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Being in music education doesn't really mean that we assign homework. However, I do remember being in high school and being ask to take my music home in order to memorize it. In that regard, I hope that I am inspiring enough and influential enough that my students will take the initiative to take their music home and study it, or to look into the history of what we are doing in class so that they can make the cross curriculum connections.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]