View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 NC SCOS 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was just curious about what everyone thought of the North Carolina Standard Course of Study. There is quite an in depth website in which all of the goals, objectives, and competencies are outlined for teachers in the state. Do you all think that this is too strict? Does it give teachers enough freedom to teach what they think is important for students to know? Do you agree with the goals listed?

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Have you looked at the SCOS for other subjects? When I looked over the history ones they seemed reasonable enough, and I remember being surprised when a math major was talking in my 2800 class about how ridiculous they were... Some of the standards seem pretty reasonable while some other standards seem excruciatingly detailed and micro-managed. I have to say that I'm pretty alright with the Social Studies NCSCOS, which calls for alot of stuff I don't remember ever seeing when I was in high school.
I'm most interested in how the standards translate into multiple-choice questions that are "fair and balanced." Is this possible?

Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that the North Carolina course of study is pretty cool for music. Now for the other subjects I'm not so sure. As far as music education our standard course of study comes from the National Standards for the Arts which is neat but at the same time unoriginal. The NCSOS gives some teachers freedom while placing others in academic bondage. The goals listed for my particular curriculum are awesome.

Jazz Certificate

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:07 pm
Profile WWW

At the moment I am also in CI 3850 where we are required to design lesson plans that meet certain standards. I've realized that I design the lesson plan first and then find out which "Standard Course of Study" it meets, which i guess is an awful way to do it in the NCLB world but it kept me sane as i was designing said lesson plans.

I'm a middle grades math and science education cocentration and the standards are fairly ridiculous but i keep hoping that if i teach the concepts that i find important and get students to begin to reason out problems then the NCSCOS will be met.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If you teach your subject appropriately then most standards should be met naturally. Their may be a few that you go out of your way to specifically make sure you cover, but I don't see it being that way very often.

Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:00 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally agree with Jonathan. I know quite a few teachers and I asked them about the NC SOC and many of them said after their second or third year they didnt even look at it anymore. They know what they are supposed to teach and as long as you stick to that you cover most of it. The only thing you have to make sure you are covering it all or your students will be at a disadvantage on EOGs or Final Exams. However, I think its pretty reasonable.

Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the SCOS is great for Business Education at least. They give us pretty much everything that we need to teach our students. That said I believe that I am going to have to go through it and definitely tailor some things because technology changes so much from year to year. But the SCOS is definitely a good starting point to build from but should not (and will not) be the only resource that i use with my students.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:50 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have to agree with Sean; well, were both music majors. We follow the National Standards and not state standards, which is great. The National Standards give teachers a lot of flexibility to teach a plethora of subjects to our students. I also love my SCOS, despite the work of documenting it.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]