View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Music in the classroom 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In one of my other classes this summer we were discussing how music helps children learn and remember information more efficiently. Think of the most popular things we remember from elementary school, they were all taught by song. Ex. the alphabet, the 50 states, the days of the week, ect. Do you think that teachers should teach more information to the rhythm to a song? I can remember all the words I learned to a popular song in elementary school, but I can hardly recall any of the information I learned in Science or History class. Someone in my class mentioned if you play a song softly in the background while something is being taught, then play it again during the test, that students will recall the information better. What are your thoughts on this?

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Music fits in the classroom, provided it doesn't take away from instruction (i suppose that's my disclaimer). I'm hoping that my future students and I can all come on an agreement for some light background music for our lessons and/or activities. It's probably not something I would want to disturb neighboring classes, nor be in disagreement with various students music choices.

As a math instructor, rhythms, harmonies, tones, etc can all be modeled with various functions most budding mathematicians should be familiar. Perhaps this could be a way for me to inspire the more musically inclined to become more interested in math!

Stuart

Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:36 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

You are flipping awesome. The fact that you are trying to incorporate music into your curriculum is a great idea. As a music educator it is extremely important teachers include cross-disciplinary ideas into lessons. Music and math I know for certain are in our everyday lives. Many of us utilize knowledge of both of them to make ourselves happy. kudos to you Kasey.

Jazz Certificate

Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:48 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think incorporating music into your curriculum is a great idea. I think it is a good tool for memorization of facts, but I also think that it is very important try to blend different genres into your lessons. For example, I like pairing music with poetry. There is something about most kids' teenage years that connect them heavily with music and lyrics. By recognizing the importance of music in their lives (as well as your own) you are showing your students that you care enough to try to make things interesting and fun for them.

Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also think incorporating music into the classroom is a great idea, but I think incorporating it is the operative word. I think that this goes right along with the notion of diverse learners and teachers being sensitive to all students. We can't forget that yes, some students do thrive and excel while playing music during tasks, while other are incredibly distracted and frustrated by it during tasks. If we are going to incorporate it into our classrooms we need to do it in well thought out ways. We could talk with the music teachers about ideas for when and where during our lesson is music most effective and helpful and when it is the least effective and/or helpful. I love music and enjoy it, but I also know what it feels like to be very distracted during assignments in class while music is being played and I don't feel like I do as well during those times.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:01 pm

I absolutely think music can have a positive effect on anything that is to be taught in the classroom. Like any learning style, it should be adapted to the situation it is being used for. Everyone learns differently, of course, but more than just helping with recall it will engage students and keep them focused. Of course, i'm biased as a music student...but we use things just like you mentioned every day in out classes here at ASU and it really helps.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Incorporating music into the daily classroom is one of the best things that you can do. I remember when I was in school and we were taught songs in order to memorize formulas, facts, etc. In addition, I am in complete support of students listening to music individually while they complete their work. I had a friend who always did better when he listened to music as he completed his homework. In AP English, we contrasted Modern songs (such as let's get it on -marvin gaye) with classical literature in order to create a english composition in comparing devices within two works of literature.

The fact that classroom teachers are using music in their classroom is great, even if it is just playing current hits in PE class (I remember listening to Hansen while doing laps around the gym).

Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:05 pm

Well first off Joel of course you would say that mr music major. But i suppose i agree with everyone else. One of my favorite bands growing was They Might Be Giants who had songs about the sun being a mass of incandescent gas, a song about James K Polk, palindromes and a various assortment of other things i learned more from that band than i did from a lot of my teachers.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]