View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Traveling 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

How do you feel about taking school field trips? They were always difficult to get approved while I was in school but I still think they were one of the best ways to get hands on experience and get students interested.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that field trips are very important educational tools for our students. I know, especially with elementary school children, it puts a great deal of stress on the teacher, but I always loved being able to take a trip to learn more about something I was studying in the classroom. I feel that the application of classroom knowledge outside of the classroom makes important connections for the students to the real world that they would not have otherwise.

I do, however, remember one place that I think my class went to every other year in elementary school and although the lessons each time we visited were different, it was overkill. It is important for teachers throughout different grade levels to vary the places they take their students!

Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:56 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think school field trips are really valuable if they are done in the right way. For me, at times in high school field trips simply became a control problem for the teachers and a chance for the students to act really inappropriately. I honestly do value hands on experience and getting out of the classroom to learn in a different way, however I think the field trip needs to be relevant to the students and maintain their focus and attention. Field trips are also a good time for students and teachers to interact in an environment a little more casual than the classroom, which can allow for even more genuine experiences in learning.

Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also feel that field trips are an excellent way to provide learning experiences that students can't always get inside the classroom. I am an advocate for field trips also because there are those students that come from low socio-economic backgrounds and field trips are one of the only ways they have to experience travel and a way of life beyond what they know. I greatly enjoyed field trips and can remember every single one I ever went on. I think the impact and bonding that they create far outweighs the headache and risk that goes along with planning and carrying out a field trip.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think field trips are great as well. Not only do I feel that students need sometimes need a break from the classroom, but I feel that the experience they get from field trips are very educational and it's something that kids don't really forget. I remember a great deal of my field trips and most kids are hands on, so therefore it's more memorable. I agree with Erica as well when she says that kids from low-SES don't get out much and this is a good way for them to learn travel and such.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I completely agree that field trips serve as great experience for students. Like Ben, I believe that allowing students to get out of the classroom, stretch their legs, and really see hands-on what is out there, is extremely beneficial. What a great opportunity for ALL students. That is very true that lower SES students might not get to experience such "things", so what better experience than that of a field trip.

Is there normally funding for students whose parents can't afford field trips, etc.? I know that I would be more than willing to help pay a child's way.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]