View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 High School Class Schedule 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The day we went to the mellow mushroom some of us were talking about high school class times and whether or not 90 minute classes were too long. I know that I personally had to participate in the 4 period 90 minute classes and I had a hard time staying focused for that length of time. I am still pretty restless during extended class times but even more so back in high school when I was younger and much more energetic. I am a fan of 45 minute to 60 minute classes with more variety of classes during the day. Anyway are there any thoughts about the length of time classes should be from both the teacher and student perspectives that you all have?

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

90 minute classes were definitely long in high school. I had to do the same 4 class, 90 minute block and I also had a tough time staying focused. I feel the 60 minute classes are very ideal for the high school setting. Just enough time to get stuff in and get work done without the students going crazy and losing attention.

Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree! I also had 90 minute blocks in high school and I definitely think they are way too long! I think students learn better in shorter classes because they are able to get up and move around more during the breaks in the day. If they do not have that opportunity they can get restless and then they risk the chance of falling asleep during class.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:48 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As a student 90 minute classes are long however the 45 minute classes are too short for teachers. My school switched from 45 to 90 minute class after 7th grade and the teachers were glad because they now had time to teach everything they wanted and do the projects in class. I do think several 90 second stretch breaks are need through out the 90 minute classes, so kids can focus on their work.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Oh man guys... I'm going to have to rock the boat here. 90 minute classes are definitely not too long. I know as a student we all had those "never-ending" days, but as a teacher, especially as a music educator, I will pray for 90 minute classes. I know that anything less is going to hurt the amount of material that I will be able to effectively impart to my students.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Im conflicted as to how I feel about Block Schedule vs. (the other).

From 7th grade to 12th grade, I was on block schedule. Some days, it was too long, some days too short. I specifically remember in AP Calculus that after about 50 minutes of lecture, we would begin the homework. I like this aspect because it gives some time to secure your abilities in higher level classes. Also, in music classes, it allows for more time for instruction.

HOWEVER, the idea of block scheduling also is on the mainstream for cutting the arts programs. I took both band and chorus in middle school and for 2 years in high school, highly against my guidance counselor and the principal's advice. In the end, I was able to graduate with honors, but that was only possible by taking 0-period courses and courses during my lunch.

I'm more interested in how AB schedules work. Anyone?
Also, (Gayle will probably know this best), overall, I have heard about Watauga's strange "Skinnies and Longs".

Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:59 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The AB schedule is the best of both world in my opinion. You have 4 90min classes a day and they switch each day, ie the 4 class you had on monday you would also have wed. and fri on that week and thues and thrus on the next week. The other 4 classes were held on thues and thrus of week 1 and mon., wed., and fri of week 2. Classes lasted all year long. There was time to to homework each night and divide it up if it was long. I worked well in my opinion though we were all confused at first.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:49 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The 90 minute classes are long however with the block schedule you are allowed to take 8 classes per year versus 6 with the traditional. And I really like the idea of the AB schedule however I know that when i was a student there is no way I would want to have to balance 8 different subjects. Also I think you fail to address that for instance in my case I took Geometry and Algebra 2 my sophomore year of high school and Pre-Cal and AP Cal my senior year. how am I supposed to take Pre-Cal while simultaneously taking AP Cal. Not possible

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:16 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As a music student, I absolutely loved 90 minute classes. Unfortunately, as a regular student I hated sitting anything that wasn't band related. I believe that 90 is a long time for high school students and teachers to be engaged in a classroom setting on a regular basis. However, as a future music educator I know that I will be able to have more fun in my classroom if it is 90 minutes.

Jazz Certificate

Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]