View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Cafeteria Food 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In my health education classes a constant topic of conversation is about the quality of cafeteria food/meals. I definitely think that many school meals are unhealthy and horrible for growing children. I think that school lunches work to perpetuate unhealthy eating choices and habits in children. One argument for continuing to keep school food/menus the same and for not going to healthier menus is that it costs too much to create the healthier menu. What do you all think… is it worth budget cuts from other school areas to fund healthier meals, do you think there are alternative solutions, or do you think things should remain that same in school meals?

Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the health of children is very important. I also know that it does cost more to purchase healthier foods. However, I am sure that there are some alternatives to the food choices children now have at schools that would not alter the budget as drastically as if cafeterias changed their entire menus. For example, instead of selling potato chips and high sugar snacks, they could sell fresh fruit, fruit cups, and frozen yogurt. This would likely not cause excessive changes in the school's budget and every small change cafeterias can make to help our student's health can be a great help.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:53 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We hold our Afterschool program in the cafeteria, and I noticed the efforts taken to promote healthy eating at school. There were posters of famous people eating fruit and drinking milk, there were food pyramids, and much more. However, when you look at the food provided, it doesn't look very healthy. I know it is easier said than done, but I completely agree that healthier food could be provided. As significant as the issue of obesity is today, surely something could be worked out when it comes to getting healthier food for our kids.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think a lot of schools have options and the students get to decide. It bothers me that everyone always focuses on how "bad" school lunches are. If you think about it in the picture it is only one meal a day. A child will not grow obese from one meal a day. If parents have such a problem with the meals they should provide their own lunches for the students and then continue to provide health meals for breakfast and dinner. If a student wants to eat pizza and fries every day then they should be able to. Don't get me wrong I think it is important to teach our students how to eat healthy and live a healthy life but I don't think we should force them to eat healthy everyday for lunch.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It is impossible for kids to recognize the implications of an unhealthy diet. It may only be one meal a day, for some two, but school is still the place where a proper diet and health must be modeled. Choices are great, but still when you go into the average school kids choices are burgers, pizza, fries, soda, etc... I could go on and on about this subject because its something I'm fairly passionate about, and plan on making it one of my top priorities with whatever school I end up teaching at.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:22 pm

I think healthier meals in schools would be a great improvement and that it may have some impact on students' overall eating habits. However im not too sure about the funding thing. I feel like funding goes so many different ways in school now that it might be a little too much of an undertaking. I would also be curious how many students would start to bring unhealthy food from home of equal value to their school lunch. On the other hand, all the students on free and reduced lunch would be stuck with healthy food, so it might make a difference.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]