View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Media's Influence 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know I have taken quite a few classes that have stressed the issue of the media controlling much of our society today. As a future middle grades teacher, it has been stressed that the media is one the greatest influences on young adolescents. I was just curious as to whether or not you thought the media was the significant influence, or if there was something else (ex: family, peers, personal goals, etc.)?

Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the media has a huge influence over children just look at the Disney Stars Hannah Montana or the Jonas Brothers. They have made their entire careers off of the pre-teen market and are millionaires before they even finish high school. Peers and siblings also have big roles but they too are influenced by the media.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It is true that our children of today are influenced by the media. But, it can also be a combination of all the things you listed Lauren. I think that the media's influence is growing so that will make our jobs harder to do.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Bronson. I think all of the above influence today's students. I also think that we can use that to our advantage by incorporating some of the things they love into our teaching to keep their interest.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The key is, in our society, with something like the media growing so powerfully in our students lives, we have to use it to our advantage. Find out what the big thing is, and if possible, incorporate it into our classes. I had an English teacher in high school that loathed the Harry Potter series, but she used them to get through to her students that didn't like to read.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:14 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The media of course has a HUGE influence over our students, from what they see on tv, to when they go out to the mall and to the movies. From the experience of working retail, i dont know how many times i have heard, man i wish i could make that dress look as good as it does on that model, or i wish i could wear that. The media does have a large influence but i think it is the environment as well that people grow up in, high ses will only go certain places and do certain things where lower ses is limited as well to what they can do.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]