View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Teaching Expectations 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

How do you think you will manage not only your classroom expectations but the expectations from your fellow teachers and administrators as well as the parents? How do you think we can honestly give time to each parent or student who needs us when we are trying to manage a classroom and 28 or so other other students?
How will you cope with an unsupporting parent or prinicpal or even teachers assistant?

Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As a music educator, I have seen, and know that I will see a lot of parents that don't support their kids, as well as school administrations, principals and otherwise, that don't support my program. This is a constant struggle for all teachers, and especially so as a band director. Without support, a band, chorus, orchestra, or whatever you have is going to fall apart.

The best strategy that I have seen to combat this at the high school level is to have a class web-page with weekly and even daily updates on happnings in the program, assignments for home, and general information for parents to view to keep up with their kids. This is so great because we are entering an age of the majority of families at least having access to the internet. For those families that don't, it is very easy to consolidate these updates to put in a quarterly, monthly, or even bi-monthly handout for the students to give their parent or gaurdian.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I like Adams idea of a webpage or note to parents. The webpages teachers I have had in the past really helped out. It also might be good to set up a gmail account linked to the website so that students and parents can contact you easily. I would try to find a friend in the teaching world to help me deal/cope with my peers and administrators, however other than that I have no idea what to do. I have a idea that fellow teachers will be fairly supportive of new teachers b/c they remember what is was like, but that is only a guess.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]