View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Identifying Children 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

During my block I internship, I was in a kindergarten class at Forest Hill Elementary. The first day I was in the classroom, I found myself to be really confused out how the teacher was calling on the students in her classroom. I noticed she was identifying the students by a number, not their name. I found this to be really strange because I have never seen this done before. I did not say anything the first day, but later asked her why she did this. She told me that it was easier for her to keep up with stuff in the classroom. The students, when completing a worksheet or other activities write their "special number" on the paper instead of their names. The teacher said it was really easy for her to put papers in order and see whose was missing. I found this to be really impressionable on the teacher’s part, plus I feel like the students in the classroom are going to know each other by a number not their names. I was really shocked to see this in a classroom, has anyone ever seen this done before?

Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When I was in elementary school we had numbers that we always put on our papers WITH our names. I am sure that this made it much easier for the teachers to keep track of our work, but when we raised our hands in class, etc, the teachers always called us by name.

I feel that it is very impersonal to do as this teacher did in her classroom. I know it must be difficult to remember so many names and keep track of everyone’s work, but certainly a teacher who is with her students everyday could learn all of their names in the first week or two of school.

I do not like the system she uses; I would recommend one like we used where the students are called by name, but on their work they write their number beside their names. I think that is the best compromise in this situation.

Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have to agree with Erin. I believe that a teacher should call on his or her students by name. This lets the student know that we know their names, and that we actually care about them. If a number system is to be implemented, it should be in addition to the students name. As a band teacher, I will have to know as many as 300 names in a semester depending on where I work, and I have never had a director who didn't know my name by the fourth week of class.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:10 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When i was in elementary school, we were called by our names. However, when we completed school work, we put our name and our alphabetical number on the paper so that filing was easier. I don't think that the numbering system is bad, yet calling a student a number suddenly parallels elementary schools with large colleges, which I disagree with.

In Music, scores are numbered and issued to specific students as their responsibility, sort of like text books in public schools. I dont think that this is bad, nor do I think it can change until text books are completely electronic and students are allowed to have laptops to complete work in the classroom.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]