View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Parties in the classroom 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Today there is more and more controversy rising about having parties in the classroom to celebrate holidays, and kid’s birthdays. Some of the parties we had in elementary school are what stick out in my mind the most. I feel like they are trying to make the school day as dry as possible now. I feel like the kids need a time to sit back and relax every once in a while. What are you feelings on this?

Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:38 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Parties don't happen as often in high school classes but they are a nice break when they do. I think it is ok the day before a break to have kids work half the time and then watch a movie and eat popcorn. Another idea for a party is to put it in the context of the class. Spanish language food and customs party or have the kids become figures from history and pretend to be at a tea party from the time period.

Too many parties can disrupt the classroom, but before a break the class is already disrupted so it cant hurt.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:18 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Agreed with both of you. As long as parties are not occurring for every little thing then they should not be a problem. Another good idea is like Anna said to keep them in the context of the curriculum. There were many times in Spanish class and History class where my teachers would try to use food help relate to the content better. As far as celebrating holidays we must keep in mind that not everyone celebrates the same holidays.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:37 am

i kind of don't agree with having a party in the classroom or i guess more notably a birthday party. With anysort of elementary school party there was always a few kids in the class who's parents didn't cater a birthday party, and from my own experiences and looking back at it just seemed a little alienating. Maybe just one big party for each season, a birthday party for people born in the spring, one for the fall, one for the winter, and one for the summer.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]