View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Why does compulsory education exist in a free country? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Maybe we as Americans unquestioningly do as we are told because that is what our first education predisposed us to do. Although there is an overtly concrete cirriculum in place in our school systems (math, science, etc.), there is also an implied cirriculum as well, which is based off of our social structure. As Plato connoted in “The Republicâ€

Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

"Why are students between 6 and 16 years of age required to go to school when America is supposed to be a free country where one can make their own decisions?" In class when Dr. Turner asked this question, I was filled with mixed emotions. I firmly believe that education is something that every individual needs if they wish to succeed in their life. But then how can an American be forced to go to school to get an education whenever Americans are supposed to be free and able to choose for themselves what they want to do. While my classmates were discussing this, I began to think in my head how far is too far when you say that Americans should get to do whatever they want. Does this mean that individuals should be able to carry weapons with them to school or to places to work or out wherever they may go? Does it mean that we don't have to follow any rules or laws that have been set by our government? So see, it doesn't only affect education but it affects everything in society today.

When we started discussing homeschool I also wasn't sure what I thought about homeschooling anymore. I think Mandi and Lia had very interesting points about homeschooling. I think some parents keep their children out of public school because they are scared that their children can't function in that big of an environment. I also understand that parents want to keep their child from being exposed to all the "bad" stuff that is out in public schools, especially middle school and high school. My cousin, who was an elementary education graduate, actually home schools her two boys. The oldest just entered into the 7th grade so he is actually back in public school. The reason she began homeschooling her boys was because when the oldest was in fourth grade, his teacher was awful. So she decided just to homeschool both of their sons. I believe that parents know what is best for their children and they have the right to homeschool if that's what they feel what's best.

Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:21 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

After being asked, “Why students from the age of 6 and 16 years of age are required to go to school when America is supposed to be a free country where one can make their own decisions?â€

Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:26 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with Heather H's statements. A lot of Americans are blind-sighted in believing they are free. We believe we are free without asking questions. In other cultures, children aren't required to attend school. School is a privilege. Their society functions without government run schools. People learn what they and their families are interested in such as farming or a family trade. They may not have the same education as us, but I don't consider these indivuals inferior to people in the USA. They simply do things in a different way. The problem arises when schools are government run. We are raised to be mini Americans. What do we learn in school? We build clay maps of North Carolina, learn our State Capitals, in ELP we learn the 3 branches of government and about our legislature. There is lots of hidden agenda within our system. We're really only independent within certain contexts. We're not 100 percent free to do what we think is best for us, but we are free to do what government officials and high standing office holders think is best: things that will make us perform well within the context of American society and make us good law abiding citizens.

Just look at what happened last May when a court decision in the state of California banned homeschooling. What was the state's response to this extreme action? They claimed "A primary purpose of the educational system is to train school children in good citizenship, patriotism and loyalty to the state and the nation as a means of protecting the public welfare." This is a judge mind you. I think that says it all.

Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:55 pm
All-star
All-star

Today's discussion really made me think about something I have never thought about before. Which I believe, therein, lies the problem. I have never asked myself, "Why am I forced to go to school in a country where we are told we are free to make our own decisions?" This shows that I, as well as many other Americans, blind-sightedly do what we are told. We never question social norms, and if we do, we do not take action for or against them. It makes me ask myself, "What other liberties am I missing out on because I have not questioned their motives and purposes?" However, I will go back to discussing why compulsory education exists in a free country. Today in class, I found myself agreeing with everyone in some way. It makes perfect sense that children cannot make educated decisions for themselves, obviously because they are not educated, and because they have not experienced the world first-hand at such a young age. It made me realize that education, or knowledge, is freedom. Throughout history, lower classes, some of who were enslaved, were not taught to read and write, because the upper class thought this might give them the knowledge to pursue freedom. Knowing what is going on around you, and being able to read about other people's opinions can help you form your own opinion about certain things. Without education, I would not be free. If I could not read, write, and do simple math, I might as well be like a slave or an outcast. I could not function properly in today's society. I would be enslaved to myself and to others. I would not enjoy the freedom to read the newspaper or understand what politicians were talking about on television. Therefore, in order to be free and live in a free country, one must have the basis for that freedom which can only come through education.

Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]