View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 positive/negative freedom 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

On Thursday we discussed positive and negative freedom and how they related to one another. At first I thought that positive freedom existed only if negative freedom existed first. However, now I see that the two freedoms exist in a type of dynamic equilibrium. Positive freedom, at least on large scale social improvements, requires that everyone give a little for a greater good. However, if we follow a line of reasoning that giving a little is good then giving more would be better then we subtract freedom from those who wish to be left alone (negative freedom). In order to maximize freedom of everyone a balance, or equilibrium, must be achieved between positive and negative freedom.

Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:36 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you Zach, that positive freedom only exists if negative freedom is displayed first. I understand what you are saying after this point, but I still believe there is some truth in the statement that positive freedom exists only after negative freedom. However, I believe one is inherent and the other is a choice. Since we are all born with sin and are therefore selfish, we would obviously choose negative freedom first in our lives. We want to be free from restraint. We want to have no constraints holding us back whether it be social, political, etc. It is something we struggle with as human beings to overcome. Therefore, when our conscience is not enough, laws are enforced to keep us in check of ourselves. It is as we mature that we find there is a positive freedom. However, we have to make the decision whether we want to implement that kind of freedom in our lives. I believe that it is a good thing to practice positive freedom in my life, especially as an educator. It relates to my abilities to influence the things I actually can change. We've all heard to not worry about the things we have no control over, but through positive freedom we can fix the things we do have control over. We can seek out goals and plan ways to achieve them. It's our innovations and creations that drive this highest mode of freedom. It keeps us alive as teachers, as we constantly try to find balance, equality, and justice in the classroom. This is exactly what we should be striving to achieve.

Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Negative freedom is not affected by personal choice. Also, Negative freedom is not diminished by lack of ability. If I am unable to drive, this doesn't alter my negative freedom. If someone steals my car, it does.

Positive freedom often involves action. It show the ability and motivation to achieve potential and make one's own choices. If negative freedom is an open door then positive freedom is getting up and walking though it.

While negative freedom can only be reduced by external factors, positive freedom can also be reduced by yourself and your own ability. In the case mentioned above of not being able to drive, positive freedom is decreased as I do not have the choice to do something I am unable to do. Other factors can affect this positive freedom to make choices. A drug addict diminishes their positive freedom via addiction, as their need' or the drug can prevent other choices (which they would ultimately prefer) being made.

Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]