View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Has life been an endless series of opportunities? 

Opportunities...
Life has NOT been an endless series of opportunities for me. 45%  45%  [ 10 ]
Life has been an endless series of opportunities for me. 55%  55%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 22

Has life been an endless series of opportunities? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

After reading all of the posts on this subject, I found it somewhat surprising that the poll results were 50/50. When Dr. Turner asked this question at the end of class last week, I began thinking about my childhood and my life growing up. I honestly could not think of a moment that something I really wanted was not achievable. I do feel like I've been blessed with endless opportunities, but I don't look at opportunities as possessions or material things. I've had incredible opportunities growing up, not because I was spoiled by my family by any means, but because I was surrounded by caring and supportive family and friends. In the last few years, being away from home and living on my own, I have truly realized how many opportunities and how care-free my childhood was. My family lived a middle-class lifestyle and my parents always created a way for me to do the things I wanted, including piano and drum lessons, percussion ensemble, Girl Scouts, softball, and extra school activities. I was active in lots of things and my parents supported me in everything I wanted to try. However, until this last year, I didn't realize how much struggle and hard work they put in to make those ends meet. When I was 8, my mom had a severe stroke that not only set her back physically, it set our family back financially. She hasn't been able to work since then. My parents tried to maintain the same lifestyle but was living a lifestyle that we really couldn't afford. My parents were just trying to offer me the best childhood they could possibly offer. I am so completely grateful for that. I did start teaching drum lessons and playing in a band to make extra money for myself in high school, although my parents encouraged me to enjoy my freedom as a teenager as long as I could. I fortunately received an awesome scholarship and financial aid that have put me through college...without my parents dropping a dime for classes. I've had a part-time job my entire college career and kept up good grades throughout. I feel proud of the efforts I've made to become independent from my parents and I feel like the support my parents showed me by making every effort to (for lack of better words) "make all my dreams come true" has made me a confident and strong person. I do feel like opportunities have been given to me, and from every opportunity I have gained confidence, courage, and independence.

Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:55 pm
All-star
All-star

I consider myself very lucky. I was born into a middle class family. Although I've always worked hard in whatever I do, I've had endless opportunities right at my finger tips. Because my parents have paid for a majority of things and I don't need to work to support myself or my family, I've had more time to dedicate to school, making friends, and doing extracurricular activities that probably helped me get into college. I don't have to pay for college, gas, or rent. I can devote my time to other things besides work. I feel that my parents have also given me opportunities to become "more cultured" by paying (the majority) of trips to countries such as Sweden, Italy, and Mexico. I feel that even though you have access to opportunities, it's up to you to take them. I was always told "Work hard and you'll do well in life." I don't know if that saying is true for all the classes though. I'd like to pretend so, but often times the reality is you get stuck into the class into which you were born. I really consider myself fortunate.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:26 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Like many others have said, I feel like life has given endless opportunities. And again, like others have said, I've worked hard as well as have been blessed to have two extremely supportive parents. I never knew how good I had it until my father was laid off of his job. I had a brother in college, an about to be retired school teacher mother, and me, being involved in extra- curricular activities which required money. My family was forced to give up some of those "luxuries", and sort of "buckle down" until he found another job. This was a trying time in my family because it was hard for my father to find a job easily. Now, I don't say this to be pitied because life has turned itself around for my family and I. But I'm grateful for this "opportunity" because it taught me so much. I don't feel that opportunities are placed in front of you to choose from. These are things that you must strive for and work hard for in order to gain advancement. You must look for opportunities to get you where you want. Because however cliche it may sound, I truly believe that if you want it bad enough, you can get it, but you must work for it.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2