View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Religion and Morals 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know we discussed this a lot in class on Thursday... but I also noticed that some people did not talk. I don't know if this is because they had nothing to say or if they did not feel right talking about something like this in front of the class. I understand this because I normally don't feel comfortable talking about something like this in front of the class.

The whole concept that you have to be religious to be moral (in my opinion... and apparently in a lot of people's opinions) is wrong. I do agree with some of the people who spoke about how the morals that you grow up with stick with you and that most of the time you learn these morals through your family's religion.

I'm Atheist. I was "raised" Baptist (by this, I mean my family's religion was Baptist... we didn't go to church... we didn't "practice" religion). I have morals. I really want to thank Lloyd for what he said in class though, about how Atheists are some of the most reliable people and how they are really nice and kind. I know that not all are... I have met a few that bash other religions.

I think everyone has morals... because everyone knows the difference between right and wrong. Religion shouldn't be a reason to have or not have morals... but what do you think?

Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:35 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with what you said Kelly, about the fact that you don't have to be religious to be moral. I do agree with that. As several others said, I know a lot of people who do not claim a religion at all, yet are some of the most kind, reliable people i know. I think religion often has a great effect on morals with some people but I do agree that you do no have to be religious to have a set of morals.

On the other hand, I'm curious by your comment,

"I think everyone has morals... because everyone knows the difference
between right and wrong. Religion shouldn't be a reason to have or not have morals... but what do you think?"

I'm curious as to this comment. Are you saying that if you're religious you wouldn't necessarily have morals, or simply that you don't have to be religious to have morals. Depending on which one, I disagree and agree. I would say that "religious" people would say they have a moral code, or some set of morals. Most would tell you that they're moral and it's because of their religion. However, if you mean the latter, I stlil agree. I think religion can be a huge part of morals, but you don't have to be religious to have morals.

Also, I still think that a lot of it does have to do with your upbringing. I'm not saying that that is the case in every instance. Someone's parents may have been one religion and not even really practiced that religion, but still may have taught their child the morals of that religion without even realizing it. Then, even if that child changes religion, a lot of those morals still remain with them.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:19 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I must admit that I have never really thought about morals being connected with religion in terms of what was discussed in class the other day, and now on here. Meaning I never thought you had to be a religious person or claim a religion to have morals. Also I have to agree with everyone else that some of the kindest, sweetest, and most reliable people are Atheists.
A person’s religion will more then likely have an influence on one’s morals. Yet I do not believe one has to read the Bible or any other sacred book to know that it is bad to kill someone just because you don’t like them (I realize I am stating this very simply). In short, what I am trying to say is, I feel people are taught right from wrong and may choose to let a religion or another set of beliefs influence their personal morals.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i just wanted to clarify for Anna, that what i meant was that you don't have to be religious to have morals.

I was also thinking that some people *could* think that because some people are Atheist, then they don't have morals, and that just because some people are Christians, then they automatically have morals... or whatnot...

I don't think that religion should be a reason to have or not have morals because you don't have to be religious to have them. But I also think that just because you're Christian (or of any faith that believes in a higher power) that you have to have morals and that just because you do not believe that you do not have to have morals. It is your choice to have morals, whether or not you're religious or not...

Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I didn't speak in class the last period because I'm not one to get into something that may cause a verbal conflict, especially regarding religion because of my strong beliefs but I did want to give my "two cents".
I find myself stuck on the fact of choosing your morals. I agree with everyone else who has posted that you do not have to be religious to "have morals". But I'm sort of torn on what Kelly said that "It is your choice to have morals, whether or not you're religious or not... " While I agree I can't help but think...do we really CHOOSE to have morals?

I feel that an individuals home life and the values (morals) taught to them are a large impact. I see so many children with their parents being told when they receive a gift " Now what do you say?", as to use repetition as a form of instilling the importance of saying thank you. I also feel that if you were punished for not "being" moral or doing "moral things" that this would keep you from doing immoral acts for the most part. I'm a huge advocate for the simple "moral words" like thank you, please, excuse me, etc. So when I'm out shopping and some runs into me for instance but says nothing, I get offended and wonder if their parents or another adult ever conveyed the importance of being polite.
So as a general question, do you all think we choose to have morals?

Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also agree with Kristen. I also believe that you do not have to be religious to be a moral person, but your morals are what make you "you". I was raised Baptist and my family does go to church so religion does play a part in my life. I was raised going to church and taught to be kind, and to help out people when they need it. So i guess in my case my religion is mainly my morals. But it isnt all of them. I also believe that you have to go through life and figure out what you believe aside from your religion. You learn from your parents but you also learn from the world and the problems that you may or may not have to go through. So i guess morals are given to you in some ways and you choose them in others.

Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:36 am
All-star
All-star

I believe that society largely shapes people's morals. What is right and wrong is viewed differently in the context in which you lived and in which you were raised. Your actions aren't always a reflexion of your morals, but they should be.

I don't believe you have to practice a religion to have morals. However, if you are religious, it becomes hard to separate your religion from your morals. I believe religion highly shapes your morals, and when you practice a religion,it instills in you a value to WANT to do what's right, not because you HAVE to but because you DESIRE to.

Which that said, my anthropology teacher brought up an interesting debate. Did God create us or did we create God? The later arguement would argue that we created God as a way to instill order, morals, and and values. Either way people need laws, rules, morals, ethics, etc. to function as a society. Morals help cultures run a little more smoothly.

I was raised as a Methodist, and now attend a Church of Christ. A lot of morals come from my upbringing (my parents) as well as my church. I believe it's impossible to completely detach my religion from my morals, because both are deeply rooted in me and help define me as a person.

As a teacher, I won't select out student's based on whether they are Muslim, Atheist, Catholic, or Baptist. I still expect each student to treat me fairly and for all my student's to use good behavior and abide by class rules. In turn, I won't go around preaching the Bible at them, but some of my religious morals will shine through and reflect in my teaching, my personality, and who I am as a person.

Most of the religious morals are similar to society's morals. You don't need a religion to have them, but it doesn't hurt if you do.

Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you Kelly. While it is true that I was raised by two Christian parents, they were not altogether religious. I myself did not join a church until I was a sophomore in high school and I'm quite certain that I was a fairly moral person long before then. I know that church doctrine can help shape you into a better person, but that isn't always the case. As a matter of fact, sometimes religion can be used to justify terrible atrocities. In class I mentioned the Spanish Inquisition and Islamic extremism as examples of this. There is nothing that says you have to have love for God, in order to have lover for your fellow man or to lead you life in a "moral " manner.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]