View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Who to Believe 
All-star
All-star

Now, we are all taught different ideas, facts, and interpretations in our classes that we attend. At this moment I am in Educational Psychology and this Foundations class. During this week, in both of these classes, I have listened to lectures about IQ tests and scores. Dr. Turner and Dr. Gagnon both have evidence to support their beliefs. Why should we choose one opinion over the other. Dr. Turner says that I child's IQ score should be able to change over time. Dr. Gagnon says that if there is a large difference in the scoring of IQ tests on a single person then there was a mistake and mis-scoring involved. Now, both of these seem legitimate statements. But who's side to we choose.
All of our lives we make decisions on what to believe. Who in our lives do we trust more? I believe we should question everything we are taught in this world, whether it is in or out of a classroom. No offense, Dr. Turner, but I will not always agree with you or believe in the same things you do. I believe in free will, and that no one has the right to force us into believing on idea over another. We chose! It is up to us. How do we or you do it?

Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

You bring up an interesting point Lianna. I have been in many education classes in which professors have taught ideas different from not only my own beliefs, but different from the beliefs of their colleagues. I think this is where we have to research and choose on our own what we would like to believe. A lot of professors teach you to question everything...but then ironically expect you to believe them when they tell you things. So you're right! It is up to us as individuals to find out where we stand on these issues!

"In a completely rational society, the best of us would be teachers and the rest of us would have to settle for something else."
-Lee Iacocca

Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Kimberly. I think we should form our own opinion on the subject. However, I do think that one test should determine the future educational sequence for a student. People's brains change over time, as do learning styles and abilities. In class we watched a film about an urban debate team, and one of the things I found most startling was the student who was placed on the "low " track and eventually tested out of it. How do the teachers know that any tests given to him weren't mis scored or due to repetitively having a bad teacher, or not understand a subject. This is not the first time I've heard of a similar case. If IQ's can not be changed over time, then this would suggest the unreliability of basing the entire educational track of a child upon the results of this test.

Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that Dr. Turner said it best, IQ scores can change, but it must be accompanied by a change in social class. Since most people rarely change their social class significantly our IQ scores will also rarely change. However, I do want to say that I would like to research a more modern IQ test to see if it has the same biases that the beta test did so that I could check the validity of Dr. Turner's claim.

Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Who do we believe? When two people of a higher authority are telling us different things we are stuck deciding who to follow in whatever it is. I believe this is a problem that most college students face at some point in their college career. This leads me to the thought that we should follow whatever we feel is best. We are going to be teachers and most of us will have different methods we follow for instructing our students. Research for ourselves and find out what makes the most sense to us and go with that. I feel like we all can believe in different things and have different views on certain situations because that is just how it is, we're all different. The only way I can really and truly believe in something is if I have a legitimate reason to back up what it is that I am believing in. I also believe there can be multiple reasons for the interpretation of something so more than one person can have views on a subject varying from others. I guess what I'm trying to say is believe in whatever you want to believe as long as you can justify your thoughts or actions.

Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:40 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with what everyone is discussing dealing with this topic. It does put us as students in a difficult situation when we have two teachers with opposing views on a topic. Therefore, I think it is apparent for us as future teachers to never put our students in this type situation. We must explain to them that there are many controversial topics in today's society, and it is important that you yourself research these things and develop your own opinons of them. Although, it is equally as important to respect others views and opinons, especially authority figures. Just as we do everyday in Dr. Turner's class. We voice our opinons, but we must do so in a tasteful manner with respect for the rest of our classmates.

Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:18 am
Site Admin

I am so proud of you all in this discussion! You absolutely must make up your own minds. To simply "believe" me would be a travesty of what it should mean to be a college student (or a high school or middle school student, for that matter.)

I stated my case for this position as strongly as I could because I know you are exposed to the more common position on IQ more frequently. Aside from making your own decision on this issue, which is critical, I want you to develop a critical understand the argument I presented to you. I hope that you will do the same with alternative theoretical positions, too.

Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Katie,
Your statement, "Therefore, I think it is apparent for us as future teachers to never put our students in this type situation," caught me off guard. I think that we will in the future put our students in many situations like these. I believe that our opinion as an individual will inevitably show through. I do think we should show our students both or all the sides to the story, but I know there are some things we will delete from our discussions, as teachers, because we do not agree with them. We are human, and by the time our students leave our classes they will know we are human and we make mistakes. However, I do not think that expressing your opinion is not necessarily a bad thing that we should not do. It would be helpful, however, if we allow our students to express their opinions, too.

Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In my statement I was not saying it is bad to express you own opinon. I just believe we need to express to our students the importance of respecting others and their personal views. As teachers we should never put our students in a situation where they feel pressured to believe in one side of a debated topic over another. Hope I have been more clear this time.

Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]