View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 White people 
All-star
All-star

I'm tired. I'm tried of being classified as a white person. Often when I hear someone say, "Those white people...," it bothers me. I do not fit into a white little envelope with instructions of what I do, how I operate, and where I come from. The color of my skin appears to be of a light tone, but no one who just looks at me knows where I came from.
It would be different if when others said "white people" there was something positive that followed every once in a while, but there is not. "White people" is an all encompassing phrase that just plops millions of people together in one little spot.
I understand that this kind of classification happens to every race and ethnic group, but my culture is not just white. I may happen to be of a light skinned, but that does not explain my past, present, or future.
I don't appreciate people saying white people just don't understand and they don't hear me. I am willing to learn; so, teach me. I will try my hardest to hear you. I may not understand everything because I have different experiences, but be patient with me. Understand that I am an individual and not a group.

Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:59 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you Lianna. I hate it when people say white people don't understand. However, as much as I hate it when I hear this, I'm well aware that other groups of different ethnicity hate the stereotypes that are placed on them. I would love to try and understand someone's issues or thoughts instead of just automatically being placed in the "white" category so therefore I must not understand something. I am an individual and I guess the main way I can contribute to people seeing people as individuals and not groups is to treat everyone in my future as individuals and not judge them by gender, race, or cultural background.

Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:12 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you, Lianna. Although I agree with most of the arguments in our reading, I was a little offended. I can't help that I was born with white skin any more than African Americans or Latinos can help that were born with dark skin. It's stupid that our culture chooses to base people's abilities on of the amount of pigmentation in one's skin as well as their speech. Why do we continue to make labels? There's always stereotypes and associations that go with each group. If you want me to listen, please don't criticize me for lack of understanding. I'm trying, and I realize you're doing likewise. Rather, give me tools or words that will help me understand better. Show me new ways of listening and improving. Help me help you. Just as blacks don't understand when we talk to them, we don't always understand when they talk to us. It's not a matter of superiority or inferiority. It's, perhaps, a communication barrier. A large portion of the underlying factors are our upbringing and our parents. Those things are a part of who we are. Languages and upbringing tie heavily to our family and loved ones. It hurts when someone stomps on what you've grown up with. If these are things we've known since childhood, we may not want to give them up or change even if there is some benefit such as acceptance by society or a good career.

Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Once again I have to agree with you Heather. I think you hit on a huge issue when said there may be a communication barrier. As we talked today in class how a dialect and accent can be a stumbling point for any of us. While it is upsets me...no it makes me angry, to be classified as "Those white people..." like Lianna said. It makes me upset that someone would not take a moment to at least find a real reason to not like me, and not just use the color of my skin or the way I talk.
Here is a little side note, while watching TV tonight there was a show on that was something like World's Worst Drives (there was nothing on). I found that the comedians tended to use a southern accent when they did voice over of the dumb drivers. :(

Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:08 pm
All-star
All-star

Yes! Thank you Lianna! You have summed up what I have been feeling and thinking during my entire experience at Appalachian. I feel like we are often made to feel bad or be ashamed of being white. We should not be ashamed or feel bad about being white. Just like other groups should not be ashamed of who they are. But should we even divide ourselves into groups? For instance, "being white" does not just mean one thing. It does not, and should not, group us into a category where everything that people say about white people fits. That is called racism and is using stereotypes. I learned last night in Literacy, Technology, and Instruction that stereotypes mean something to the effect of "being in a fixed, unchanging category." No one is in a fixed, unchanging category. We are all able to change, based on our individual beliefs. Sometimes I feel like no one appreciates my point of view because I'm white. Just because I didn't grow up in a different culture or have an amazing story to tell, some people believe I cannot possess empathy for others or try to understand others. I really do want to try to understand others as much as possible. This will be a key link in helping me effectively teach students. It would not be fair to them if I grouped a kid according to his background or race, just because other kids from that same background or race proved to be a certain type of person. For example, if he/she comes from a tough situation, it does not mean that they cannot rise above this and do great things with their life. I think this is a very important skill to put into practice and use as a teacher.

Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am so glad that I am not the only person that feels this way! I agree with you Heather, why should I (or anyone) feel ashamed for being whatever race they are. It’s not like when I was born I chose to be white, so why am I sometimes punished for it? As for being grouped into the “whiteâ€

Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am like Tracy in that I am glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I think often times I feel like people think that because we are white, we are better off than a lot of people. I also agree that just because we are white doesn't mean we are all the same. It's like this with other ethnic groups too though. We are all individuals and our personalities should not be identified by our skin colors. I think that it is important as teachers that we can identify with all of our students no matter what background our students are from.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I hear what you are saying Lianna. I'm about the whitest white person you will ever meet, but that still doesn't mean that I'm all that crazy about beig lumped into a group. I know I'm a lousey dancer, but that shouldn't have anything to do with the color of my skin. I've always been frustrated with steriotypes, not only about white people but about any group. There is so much more to who we are than skin tone. Now, I know that it is really dumb to complian about being white, but it does suck to be stuck with all of the negative and positive assumptions that people make about a group. It would be really nice to set that asside and be seen as individuals.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]