View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 How will you address the subject of homosexuality? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Based on the reading for tomorrow , I was just wondering how you as a future teacher is planning on handling the situation of homosexuality in your classroom? I think that homosexuality is becoming more prevalent each day. It is becoming more and more likely that homesexuality will be a topic that will be brought up in the classroom. I think that it is something that has to be addressed but how will you as a future teacher address it? For example, what if you had Susan Beatie (the "pregnant-man's" daughter) in your classroom?

Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:29 pm
All-star
All-star

First off, you have to be careful when assuming stuff such as each kid comes from a traditional family and has a mother and father. Avoid assigning traditional worksheets on the first day of school that ask for names of the kid's mom and dad, especially ones that will be posted around the classroom . Some kids may come from a single parent home. Others may be adopted. Some kids may have 2 mothers or 2 dads or be raised by a godparent or a close relative. As a teacher, make sure the students that every one has different experiences and different background. They help make us unique and set us apart Life would be boring if we were all the same. Maybe talk about famous people the children know and admire that did great things but were homosexual, such as Andy Warhol. Most of all, show respect for these people. Provide outlets to talk or express homosexuality, but never single them out or place them in uncomfortable situations. Treat all of your students equally.

Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally agree that we need to be careful in assuming that children have a Mom and Dad....and that we need to introduce all types of role models regardless of sexual orientation. Personally, I want my classroom to run smoothly without any discrimination of homosexuality. I know that's a long shot and that I will probably run into some issues. Any ideas on how to handle other children being disrespectful to someone that is homosexual? Two of my best male friends are homosexual, so that not only has my morals involved, but involves a big part of my heart. They are very important to my life, so I think it would hit a soft spot with me to see one of my students treated differently.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:35 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also agree that being careful with things that you say or activities that you do in a classroom is a number one priority. Treating everyone equally is also a top priority. You have to be careful in assuming that everyone has a mom and dad who are male and female. Heather is right, they could have two moms or two dads, and for all the student knows, that is completely normal. To be honest, I have no idea how to handle things if a homosexual student is being teased. Obviously, you would reprimand the students who are doing the teasing, and reassure the homosexual student that nothing is wrong with them. But it's hard, because how do you really change people's prejudice's? I want to be able to make the students who are teasing understand that everyone is different and that everyone needs to be treated as equals. It makes for a very uncomfortable situation for the person being teased, and it is a very hard situation to be in as a teacher.

Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

you most definitely do have to be careful about what you say in your classroom, but you should be careful to watch that anyways. I think the student should be fine until other students began to notice things and pick on the student. This is something i am going to struggle with because how do you explain complicated things like this to children and how do you comfort the child being picked on? I guess you just need to explain to your class that everyone is different but that does not make them wrong or weird and try and teach them proper manners about how to act towards each other.

Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I truly believe that all people should be treated equally, regardless of whether they are homosexual or not. Having said that, I totally agree that as a teacher it is imperative that you never assume anything about a student. I think making things as generic as possible when giving information or when talking about families is a great idea. I don't really think that the topic of homosexuality necessarily needs to be brought up in a classroom setting, after all, people who consider themselves to be homosexual are people too. In my opinion the only time that anything like this needs to be addressed is if there seems to be harassment of any kind, and even in this case, the issue at hand I believe should be harassment in general in regards to human rights.

Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the only thing that we as teachers really have to or even should address in regards to homosexual students is to work hard to protect them from physical and verbal abuse. It isn't our job to try to change or influence their sexual orentation. What we should do is ensure their safety in the classroom and on school property. Slurs against homosexuals should be treated the same as those aimed at racial and ethnic minorities. An example must be made that messages of hate will not be tolerated in school. These rules should be enforce even if there are no known homosexuals in the class or in earshot. Rules are rules all the time, not just when there is no one around to be offended. It deosn't matter if we agree with their choices or not. They are their choices. We as teacher must respect that.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]