View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 What causes heterosexuality? 

Is homosexuality genetic or constructed?
genetic 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
constructed 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 7

What causes heterosexuality? 
All-star
All-star

Where does heterosexuality stem from? Are you born this way? It is an imbalance of hormones? Do these individuals simply feel that they don't fit into the socially constructed gender roles?

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:39 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I honestly feel like it's something genetic. I don't feel like you can just decide to be attracted to someone, typically you just ARE. Also, it seems like a lot of homosexual individuals face some type of discrimination, whether it be something as simple as dirty looks in public, or something terrible like hate crimes or threatening calls.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:40 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that genetics to play a large part of this because I believe that your heart loves who it loves. But I also think that its more constructed because even though your heart is telling you who to love, you are in society and your head is telling you who to like, which then tries to help the heart out. Homosexuality is not a "genetic abnormality," as some think, so that is one reason I do not believe it is just from genetics. Just because your mom or dad were really homosexual (but married someone of the opposite sex and had kids) does not mean that you will be homosexual too. It is not something that can be passed down through genes, like hair or eye color.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think homosexuality is genetic. There are too many variations in the genetic threads and trends it appears in. I think sexuality, just like any other physical preference of another person (preference of a certain physical appearance over another) is not determined by abnormalities in the genes.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that a big part of someone being homosexual is genetic. I do not think that the majority of the people who are gay or lesbian choose to be that way from the day they are born. When you can blatantly tell that a third grader is a homosexual, I do not believe that is their choice whatsoever. How could it be? They are seven or eight years old, and probably do not have any idea what it means to be gay. I believe that you really do not have a choice who you are attracted to. I think this is why there are so many homosexuals who are scared to "come out of the closet" so to speak, because some of society blames them for the way they are.

Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is a question that I struggle with and just wish that science would prove one way or another! haha. But of course, that would be the easy way out.

I think that your sexuality is something that is innate. We all have attractions one way or another and I don't think heterosexuals would say that they "chose" to be attracted to the opposite sex. Therefore, I think attraction has to be something that is imbedded in us as humans. However, the choice comes in on whether to act on our attractions. This is the case whether you are heterosexual or homosexual. The societal issue is really about people agreeing or disagreeing if people should act on their attractions.

This topic is so controversial. However, I do not think that the issue of how to treat people who happen to be homosexual should be controversial. A person's sexuality is not what makes up that complete person and so many times we place that label on them. Everyone deserves the same respect as a human being, despite your agreement or lack thereof of their choice to act on their attractions.

Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am with Emily on this subject. I have very different mixed feelings. From my religious standpoint I would strongly say that homosexuality is not genetic, but then on the other hand, I would say that it does have to do with genes. I do not believe that one day someone would just decide to become homosexual as well so this subject is hard as well.

Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:59 pm
All-star
All-star

Emily, I agree with you. This is also a question I struggle with. I think, somehow it can be a little of both genetics and society. People didn't chose to be attracted to someone of the same sex, but they can chose whether or not to act on it. Regardless, sexuality should not define someone. I know wonderful people- straight, gay, and lesbian. Well said.

Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:17 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

like everyone else, this is a question that i struggle with. Most of the time i feel that it is constructed. I do understand the people that are born with a imbalance of hormones and they come out male or female but feel like the other. This is something that we cannot help, but most of the time people choose who they are attracted to.

Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]