View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Banned Books 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

After talking about the different books that have been banned in school I went back and took closer look at list of the books that have been banned. Some of the books on the list are books I read for school and loved! How do the rest of you feel about banning books in schools?

Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that it is so terrible when books are banned! It is kind of hypocritical to ban a book from school when educators are suppose to be providing students with all types of knowledge and helping them to better their selves for the future. There are always going to be certain subjects that are hard to talk about, and I believe that children could find some of their answers through books that sometimes 'adults' are not willing to give them. I strongly believe that no book should ever be banned from a school.

Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Casey. Books should not be banned. Look at what is on television and movies and in magazines. Why should children not be able to read about what things were like in the past? Parents and others are trying to shelter kids too much and it is unnecessary. Although i do believe that students should only read these books when they can fully understand them and have the maturity to deal with them. But then that brings about another question of when are students mature enough to handle things?

Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I personally believe that banning books is horrible! I really don't even see the point in it. If a parent does not want their kid to read a book, then they simply can just tell them not to read it. They do not need to have a book banned from a whole school's library so that every kid in the school does not have an opportunity to read it. I was also appalled by some of the books that were on the "banned" list. Harry Potter, for instance, is just a ridiculous book to have banned in my opinion. I mean, seriously, J.K. Rowling is saying nothing about religion whatsoever...it is just a book that was meant to be enjoyed by everyone! I can understand if parents do not want their kids reading certain books (like about gay or transgender issues), but that means you simply keep these books in a separate section so students can only access them if they want or need to.

Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I do not believe books should be banned! I love reading books, and I want the freedom to read any book I choose. I understand that some books are inappropriate for certain ages. However, if a controversial book is going to be read in a classroom, a student and/or parent has the right to abstain from that book. I truly believe that reading books opens up your world to new ideas. The best example of why books should not be banned is this: even though you may not agree with what you are reading (whether it be controversial, conflicting views, etc.), you can use what you are reading to strengthen your own beliefs. Just think, if that book had been banned, you would not have gained the knowledge and information you needed to strengthen and empower your own set of beliefs.

Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:45 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also disagree with books being banned from schools for the same reasons others have mentioned. Think about all of the students that miss out on these books simply because they don't have access to books other than those in the school library. I also wonder what kind of books high school students will be reading now that so many of the books I read have been put on the list of banned books.

"In a completely rational society, the best of us would be teachers and the rest of us would have to settle for something else."
-Lee Iacocca

Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:08 am
All-star
All-star

Honestly, I do not think books should be banned, but I also believe that not all books belong in a school library.
So, if we say every book should be allowed in a public school, should we also say all magazines should be available in schools? To be truly honest, I don't think some books should be in a school library, just like I think that play boy should not be in the magazine section of a library.
There are some books that are inappropriate for school age children, even high schoolers. I do think that parents should have a say as to what their children are allowed to read. I am sure there will be books or magazines or movies or internet sites that you will not want your child to be exposed to.
So consider...books on the banned book list probably shouldn't be there...but maybe other books should not be on shelves in a library.

Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Lianna on this subject. I think the idea of banning a book to the general public is ridiculous. However, I do think we should use some discretion as to what we choose for our students and children to read. I also agree that some things are inappropriate for certain ages...That's why movies and tv shows have ratings and why there are "adult" sections in a library. As our society changes, so do the things that we accept and I do believe that what is acceptable in society has changed in the last 50, even the last 10 years. Students are being exposed to things a lot earlier than ever before. Not that this is either good or bad. Our libraries probably reflect this change.

Parent involvement is crucial in this as well. I think parents should be involved in the decision-making process of which books and resources are available to their students.

Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that banning books is absolutely idiotic. It goes against everything nation and the constitution stands for. Many of the books that were banned are absolutely wonderful and address issues that need to be looked at. All too ofton the people who want to ban books are the ones who really need to be reading them. While there were some controversial books that I had to read in school that I hated, such as The Color Purple, those book must have appealed to some students or they would not have been in the curriculum to start with. When you tell a student they are not allowed to read something you are really telling them they are not allowed to think. That they are forbidden from considering new ideas. I refuse to be a part of an institution that henders free thought because it interferes with what the people in charge think. This is America, not Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union. Banning books is beyond wrong.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]