View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Boone's Future 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Several weeks ago there was a forum going on at a local hotel discussing the future of Boone for buildings and such. Dr. Turner talked about it for a brief minute at the beginning of class. My roommates are construction management majors so we have discussed this a bit further. I was wondering what you guys thought of the future of Boone since it won't be long and we'll be gone only to visit Boone to reminisce on the days we were here.

I know since we have experienced great success in athletics our school is becoming more popular which means more students. Now it is getting so crowded it becomes a hassle to drive anywhere it seems. Is Boone going to depend on the expansion of the Greenway to accomodate pedestrians and bikers because they can't drive anywhere or are we reaching a maximum capacity? I feel like as long as App can bring more students in its going to keep increasing the student population.

Can Boone handle a huge population or does this spell disaster in the future? .... thoughts.. comments?

Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:30 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Clay you raised several great points. Athletic success usually brings more interest. I believe this is the case with Appalachian. I also believe there is a move to increase the student population. If this happens Boone has serious issues with traffic and housing as well. I do not think Boone has reached maximum capacity, but any move to increase the population brings questions about services and how to pay for them, where new development will go, what kind of development it will be, and how changes will be accepted. I encourage anyone thinking about staying in Boone to become involved in the planning process or at the very least become educated about the issues. Education, teaching and the growth of Boone are related by the fact that successful outcomes of each must be planned for after establishing long range goals.

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is an excellent question. Even when my mother was in school up here at ASU in the mid 1970s the expansion of Boone was a critical issue. She used to say that if they put anymore people in the town of Boone, the mountain would sink. The truth is that as long as the University can, they will continue to expand, add programs, and increase the student population. To cope with the increase in people, the only option that the town really has is to start building vertically, meaning taller buildings. Nearly every new busisness center, including the one near the corner of 421 & the 105 estension, has apartments on top of the busisnesses. this type of construction is one solution. Another is to construct a large parking structure with several levels on the hill behind King Street, where the metered parking is. this would help some with parking for the busisnesses. The bottom line is that the town and the school will find a way to grow. Congested roads and difficult to find housing will still be a problem, but the city planners will find a way.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]