View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Unprepared 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The other day ran into an old friend that is also a policeman in the county in which I will be student teaching this coming spring. When I told him what high school I had been assigned to he told that the school had grown gang problem. I am completely unprepared to deal with students that are members of a gang.
Also, during my internship I was unprepared when one of my students came in and he had nothing with him (which was not like him). However, I was unprepared for when he told me that his house had bunt down the previous weekend.

So I was wondering, what are some of the situations some of you have run into with you internships, tutoring, and so?

Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:46 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Unfortunately, I have the same problem. I haven't heard of gangs being in the area where I will be teaching, but I guess I have been sheltered in that area. I never encountered gangs when I was in high school, and honestly have no clue what I would do in that situation. I worry about things like that because I grew up in a rural school in a community mostly based on religion and tradition. (not that there weren't bad things, or some outliers in the beliefs of our community). I do feel as if I were somewhat sheltered.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:30 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have been unprepared in the matter of being a sub. During the Holidays and breaks that we have and the schools do not, I am able to complete a lot of substituting opportunities. Most recently, I had to be a sub for classes such as Spanish for Native Speakers II and and ESL class. I was very unprepared to realize that most of these students in the ESL class do not have great communication skills in English. This was a hard situation to deal with and it really did catch me off guard. I will need to know that this could always be a possibility in my class, and this experience has hopefully shown me that. The Spanish for Native Speakers class wasn't really as bad becuase they all spoke english very well. They did however have to complete activities in Spanish, so this I was also unprepared for. I could pick up on some of the things they were discussing, but not all. I believe that all prospective teachers do need to be a sub at least once, becuse sometimes you become prepared for the things you would be unprepared for in your own classroom.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really feel that I am unprepared to handle student teaching this spring. The reason isn't that I'm worried about teaching in general; I am only worried because of the instructor I've been assigned to work with. During my internship in the classroom I observed one of her classes. It was the most miserable experience of my entire internship. The teacher's classes are made up of all of the students who are either some form of special needs or are retaking the class because they have failed it. Observing her was like watching a train wreck. The students were awful and in spite of what I thought was the best guidance from her that could be given, the class was on the verge of rioting from the moment they sat down until the bell rang. She looked as if she was going to have a mental breakdown by the end of it and it was only second period. Looking back now, it kills me to think that that is what I will be facing with my student teaching. Three classes of that.
Yea, I'm really unprepared.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]