View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Rewards 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What are your opinions on rewards in the classroom....maybe a points system to get to a "treasure box," or handing out stickers? I've seen this done a lot, but a good many people do not agree with it. I think it is a good tool for motivation in younger grades, if it is done so that everyone has an equal opportunity.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Well Maria, I'm not a huge fan of handing out stuff in the classroom just to be doing it, but the sad honest truth is that it usually works. Handing out candy for answering questions, doing well on assignments, or just generally good conduct is a great way to get students involved and increase the morale of your classroom. Students who would normally do nothing to interact in the class might be more willing to get involved if there is a reward involved. The major problem with this is that once you start giving out rewards, it's very hard to stop. students who make an A on a test one week and receive a treat will also expect a treat for next week's test. Also there is the cost of what you are handing out. over the cores of the school year, those bags of candy add up. Plus not all kids like the same type of stuff and finding a treat that they don't complain about or aren't allergic to might get tricky.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]