View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Violence in our society 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I found myself disgusted and just flat our disturbed after looking over the postcards of people who had been lynched. I was especially bothered by the fact that so many of the pictures were from North Carolina. I often forget how violent and filled with discrimination our state's history is. As horrible as those images were to see I think it is important to be reminded of the mistakes that our ancestors made and make sure that our children continue to learn about our past so that we can try and make sure that there is as little repetition as possible. After thinking about it though I am surprised at my reaction to the violent images. Everyday we are surrounded with so much violence and anger that you would think by now I would be calloused to it. The violence that continues around the world is not far off from what was going on in the 1900s in America. People are still lynched and much worse. I just thought that my reaction to the pictures was kind of strange considering that the world around me is still so filled with hate and anger.

Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:32 pm
All-star
All-star

I also am surprised by my reaction to images and stories of violence. Everywhere we turn there are depictions of beatings, murders, rapes, and abuse. One would think eventually we would become so used to violent acts they would become "normal" to us. I suppose it is not our nature to be so non-reactionary. I am a firm believer in teaching students the truth about the violence that has happened (and is happening) around the world. There are tasteful, and respectful ways to teach students about these acts. It is important for students to learn the truth so that they can be better equipped to step out into the "real world" and not feel sheltered when they learn that these things really do happen. It can also spark students to do something, in their own way, to stand up against what they feel is wrong. I hope this made sense?

Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I too agree with both of their reactions towards the graphic and disturbing photos of the lynchings throughout our history. Even though we are still surrounded by violence the amount of vocal and outright examples of certain violent acts are certainly less today. Though these horrible acts were committed mainly within large groups of audiences, I believe that many were just following the standard status quo within that time frame of history. In today's society I believe that open violent acts are now less muted by our society standards, but are still many secluded and private violence that occurs constantly within America. I too believe that it's our jobs as teachers to further educate the children of the future to be able to make responsible, independent, and successful decisions.

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

While looking at the postcards, I didn't really feel shocked at all. Knowing some early NC and US history, I was aware that lynchings occurred across the state and the nation.

Back in those days, lynching was used as a form of "popular" punishment for crimes committed. Generally, those convicted of severe crimes were hung in a common area such as a court house square. Everyone would come and picnic and socialize before the event. Kind of weird, by the standards of this day and time yes. During those days, this was a way of letting all around know that if you are caught of committing a severe crime, then you would be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

However, innocent people were also hung because of a difference in race. If an African-American "disobeyed" someone, they ran the risk of being lynched. This was senseless and shows us that all cultures make huge mistakes and can someday take steps to recover from them.

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:33 pm
All-star
All-star

I shared this with the other class on their discussion board and just wanted to share it with all of you too.

This summer I took a Young Adult Literature class and I was assigned to read the book A Long Way Gone: Memiors of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah. He was born in 1980 in Sierra Leone and by the time that he was 13 he was in the military fighting the rebels in his country. And these rebels were killing everyone in the villages that they went through, burning and destroying everything as they went. He and the other boys he fought with, one as young as seven years old, were also forced to take drugs, specifically marijuana and cocaine.

As we were watching the Mai Lai video I couldn't help but think of Beah's book. If you have time, it is a very interesting read and very much worth the time. Here is a link to the website:

http://www.alongwaygone.com/index.html

Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]