View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Are Teachers Responsible for their Students? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In class on Thursday we were talking about if a teacher is reaponsible for doing something if a child comes up to them with a problem. I personally feel that if a student comes up and confides in me that it then becomes my responsibility to do something. However, just because we have a teaching degree does not mean that we have to be responsible for everything a student tells us. I think that if you go into teaching you should want that responsibility, but I think that it scares some people to think that. There are a lot of crazy people out there and I think a fear in teachers is that they may be putting themselves in danger if they do something.

Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:59 pm
All-star
All-star

I absolutely agree with what was previously said. I feel that if a student feels confortable enough to come to a teacher and confide in them, that it is their duty to do what they can to help that student. Students look up to teachers as role models, and if a teacher doesn't help his or her students when they need it, then what kind of role model is that? Some children out their have major issues in their lives, issues that we probably can not imagine living with and if they choose you to come to, they have a reason for that. They most likely feel as though you can help them and I feel as though that teacher should. I understand that the only issue a teacher is required to report is abuse, whether sexual or physical, but as a person could you honestly just over look anything else and leave that helpless child to deal with it all on their own. I know that I would have to do everything in my power to help my students, whatever it may be; otherwise I would not be able to sleep at night.

Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:33 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with both of these posts. As a future teacher, and having about four years of "teaching" preschool under my belt so far, I personally believe that it is my responsibility to advocate for the children whose lives I impact every day and who may not be able to fully stand up for themselves. I chose to become a teacher because I want to help children to become the best they can be and encourage them to want to learn up to their potential and become proud, successful individuals. However, I would be contradicting myself if I only applied this attitude toward academic and social circumstances and not the personal situations of my students. Like the previous entries stated, if a child feels secure enough with me to come to me with any problems that may exist in their lives I feel it is my duty as their teacher, mentor, role model, and advocate, to do something about it. Home situations of students affect how the children learn and are able to function on a day to day basis and it is therefore of utmost importance to address these issues when they arise. Who better to do so, than someone who the child sees everyday and trusts? Even if I cannot give them the help they need, I would most certainly report it to the people who could.

Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also agree with these posts. I believe that it is a teacher's responsibility to give the child a good learning environment and help them succeed. To do this I think a teacher needs to take on the responsibility of helping a student if they come to the teacher with a problem. When a student comes to you, you should make it your responsibility to help them. Any thing can affect how a child learns and having a problem, whether that problem is at home or school, can play a big factor in how well a child does in class. Teachers should strive to help their students in any way they can. Sometimes the only help or caring that a child recieves is from the teacher and we need to make sure every child is cared for to the best of our abilities and within our limits.

Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:22 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As a teacher we will build relationships with our students, whether good or bad. We aren't put in the classroom to be the students' best friends but we should be there for them when they are in school and we should respect them and treat them all equally. When a student feels the relationship is strong enough to confide in us and trust us we must hold up our end of the deal and look out for them as well. Most students who want to talk to their teachers probably need help because they feel the nurture in the classroom that they aren't getting elsewhere. As future teachers we should realize that our students will put trust in us and we are responsible for certain aspects of our student's lives such as sexual and child abuse.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that when a student chooses to confide in you as a teacher about something they are dealing with personally, then it would (or should, in my opinion) become your personal obligation to do whatever you could to help them, even if it just means that all you do is sit there and listen.

We all want to make a difference in the lives of our future students... and we aren't going to be able to do that if we distance ourselves from our students in any form. A lot of our students will spend more time with us than they do with their own parents. They grow to love and respect us as much as if not more than some family members or other adults in their lives. Like Lauren said, students may feel more love and nurture in the classroom than what they receive in their own home.

Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with all the posts stated above. I just wanted to share something with everyone ...
In another class I have this semester (with Dr. Jacobson), we were talking about the responsibility a teacher has over their students. To help keep up with the behaviors and odd happenings in students' lives, teachers should keep an "anecdotal record." You would do this by keeping a manila folder for every student. In the folder you would keep track of students by recording JUST THE FACTS and out of the ordinary or unacceptable observable behavior (not your opinion). You would keep the times and dates of these events. This can help you keep track of a suspected abused child. Keep in mind that any papers you have on a child are a legal document and may be ordered and used in a court. This method can help a teacher be organized with the evidence and proof that the child is being abused. If the child comes to school with unexplainable bruises all of the time and that is recorded, then that's just more evidence one could present in court to convict a suspected child abuser.
**My point is that by keeping an anecdotal record, you are helping every student and watching out for their well being. If a student confides in you and tells you about their bad home life, I feel that means they want help and out of that situation. You, the teacher, are responsible for reporting child abuse to the proper authorities and plus you would have records and facts to prove your suspicions.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:15 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

A teacher should be someone that students can confide in when they have something weighing on them. There's the possibility that we are the only people that some students can feel comforted and safe around. Students are drawn to structure and safety. If you provide a safe and secure environment, then they will be more apt to come and confide in you.

As teachers, we do have a responsibility to protect and nurture our students. They should be able to talk to us; however, there has to be a line somewhere. There are just some things that we should not discuss with them. If it is a serious issue, we should get them a guidance counselor, but if the subject is just something not appropriate, then we should dismiss the matter. We have to judge where the line is. As educators, we are professionals and we must protect our job and the moral of the classroom environment.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Does anyone in our class feel that we aren't responsible for our future students? I've enjoyed hearing and reading everyone's reason for feeling that we ARE, but I haven't heard/read much, if any, arguments for why we AREN'T responsible. I was told in class that some people think/feel they aren't repsonsible, but I haven't heard any reasons as to why.

Any thoughts?

Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]