View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 What is education? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What is "education"? What is its purpose? What do you expect an "educated" person to be like? During the era of World War II, Germany had the highest education level of any country in the world, and yet, they still committed the grave atrocities of the Holocaust and the war. What was missing from Germany's "education"?

Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that education is relative to each country or state or district or whoever it is that is involved in the education process. In another class I have we read about "core knowledge" and what different people think is important to know. I think that in Germany after WWII their citizens knew what it was the government thought they should know. That was why they were recorded as being so "educated." I never knew that fact about Germany...it's disheartening and scary... where are we going?

Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:44 pm
All-star
All-star

The word education is defined as: the act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life. (dictionary.com). I think this definition clearly states that education will be different for each person and each society. Many times when we discuss education we tend to focus solely on the gaining knowledge aspect of the meaning. Often we forget that to be educated can mean that one is prepared for dealing with situations which occur in their lives. Germany was being educated by the government, but educated in a negative way. They were being taught the knowledge that the government wanted them to know and they were also being educated about how they were supposed to treat other human beings (although this education was extremely negative in that they were being taught to kill.) I think America is moving dangerously in the direction of focusing completely on the knowledge part of education and forgetting the judgment and intellectual aspects of the meaning of the word.

Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]