View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Schooling OR Educating 
All-star
All-star

In class we discussed the difference between schooling and educating. I felt that this was such an important issue that I had never really thought about. I learned that education typically occurs in more of an open, interactive environment and is more of a lifelong thing (for example, you are only schooled while you attend school, but you are educated during your entire life). Throughout your life, you learn so many new things in which you become educated in, whereas you are only schooled in what you were taught during your time in school. It seems as though our soceity values schooling over education; someone can be completely qualified or educated for a particular job and not receive the job because they have not been schooled in the area. It sounds absurd, but it happens everyday. I never realized there were so many, or even any, differences in the words schooled and educated.

Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I thought this was a really interesting topic, too. To a degree I think I have a handle on it, but it can be interpreted differently. I like your distinction between schooling being what we learn in school and education being a lifelong process. I think for me, education is a more comprehensive word to embody what it means to learn and retain. This can include academic learning(just books), social functioning(manners, datings), everyday knowledge(like changing oil), etc. In this way, I think education can also be defined as lessening our ignorances. By ignorances I mean our lacking of knowledge/unawareness of things.

As far as education, one of my good friends and I were talking one day about the differences between some of his classes and Wilkes CC and here. He said some of his classes there were a joke and some were a lot more challenging than ones he had taken here. He said to me, education is what you put into it. Especially as a person gets older and chooses whether or not to value education, I think this is very true. I guess it's true for anything- you get out of what you put into it.

Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that as a society we value schooling over education and I think that is wrong. I understand that people pay a lot of money to get that piece of paper and they have sat through a lot of classes, but I have sat through some classes here at App and looking back I can not tell you one thing that I learned in some of them. However, because I will have that piece of paper when I am done I will be seen as better qualified for a job than people who do not have a degree. I wonder what has caused this change in peoples views because I don't think it has always been like this. Anyone have an idea?

Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Like Dana, I never understood or even thought about the difference between schooling and education. I believe that schooling is what society demands people to be taught through the school systems (this is only a small part of education). People learn unnecessary things through schooling but education is different. An educated person is someone who knows a lot about particular subjects. Education is the knowledge you retain, whether it be through the school system or through life lessons.
Society values schooling over education but I don't really know why. As the competition for jobs escalates, companies want the persons most fit for their jobs and they are relying on universities to educate people in particular fields. However, I think that students in universities are having more schooling that educating. Like Quantina, I believe I've been schooled here at App rather than being educated. But, that applies to most of my core classes that everyone has to take (biology, political science, etc ...) and only a few of the classes in my major (like educational psychology).

Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:19 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would say that I was more "schooled" than educated during grade school. I say this because I rarely remember having one on one deep conversations with teachers or with my classmates about topics that were important at the time. I believe that conversation is the best way of educating people. I also remember being taught to stand in line, raise my hand, etc. I do not believe this is a bad thing completely however. I believe schooling teaches us how to educate ourselves, as well as how we need to act to fit in society. School in our country is not only about expanding your education, but teaching you how to survive.

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]