View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Getting above your raisin' 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The whole section of the movie that we watched today I was thinking about my mother and her family. My mom is from Granite Falls, NC near Hickory and was never expected to go to college and was discouraged from going. No one in her family ever went and even all three of her siblings after her didn't go to college. The only reason she went was because my dad and her were dating at the time and his parents encouraged her to go and so they went together. For years my grandparents had a standoff with my mother because they said she thought she was better than them and the life they had given her and her raising. It wasn't until my sister was born that they started talking and seeing each other again. I know my mom still struggles sometimes with her family, especially my aunt who never left their home town. They still think that part of the reason my mom went to college was because she thought she was better than them and their raising. Anyone else have any similar experiences themselves or from their family members?

Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:52 pm

I thought that this section of the movie today was interesting as well. I tried to think about my family and where I come from and that has never happened to me. I mean I come from a really small town and I live out in the middle of nowhere. But I also think another reason why most of us wont experience this same type of thing is because we are going into the education field. No matter where you are from a teacher is a very respected career. So I think that most of us aren't "above our raisin's" because we aren't trying to be above anyone, we are actually in a very grounded profession. If that makes any sense. We aren't trying to be above anyone my our education but to educate others.

Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Kind of along the same lines as Emily was saying my dad went to college when none of his other four siblings went. His parents however went to college and were successful. Ever since he moved to NC to go to school (he's from Virginia) his parents kind of ignore him. If is as if they want their children to want them and need their help financially and since it seems that my dad is doing well in his profession he doesn't need any attention when he really wants a relationship with them. It's always hard going up there at holidays, because we are the outcast. When my parents got divorced about six years ago, my dad's family was never there for him because of their perceptions of him. It's sad that people percieve individuals as outcast because of their schooling.

Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was always encouraged to attend college so as far as getting above my raisings that wouldn't apply to me. But based on where I live and the common type of culture and people that live in Madison County many would see going to college above their raisings. Out of my seven siblings, so far all of us that have already graduated high school have attended college. So the option of not going to college didn't exist for me and my family. Though, it was up to us how we would get there the overall expectation of college was a must. It would probably almost be the reverse for my family because if I chose not to go to college I would assume that my parents would look down on me. Because education is so important to them it's all too common to go to college and if you don't then you’re automatically less. I can understand how many may see that separating yourself from the norm of your family may seem disrespectful, but just because you were raised a certain way or in a certain class doesn't mean that you can't change if desired. For me I know that I have always wanted to be a teacher and therefore getting an education was just a requirement. But everyone is unique and has to decide for themselves what is best for them and their future.

Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It was always expected of me in my family to succeed. My mom has only taken a few classes in college and my dad has a two year degree, but they have succeeded in a lot of things. It was always expected of me to go to college and I always wanted to go. In my family/town, most people want better for their kids than they had for themselves. They see it as bettering yourself, not "gettin above your raising". There were a few people in high school I could have seen being in the prediciment of not feeling like they should succeed because it would be above their family, but it was rare. I think sometimes parents and families are afraid that thier children will think less of them if the children discover other things and are "better". I believe some parents unintentionally reveal this fear to thier children and cause the children to feel, I guess you could say too guilty, to become anything better.

Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Honestly, it's really hard for me to relate to this topic because both of my parents completed college, and my dad went to grad school. My sister went to the same school that they went to and so I kind of am the odd one out but I am still in a four year university so I am doing just fine. I am in no way getting above my raisins and don't know too much about it in my family but am pretty sure it's not an issue. However, I find it sad that this has become an issue for some cultures. Parents and families whether it is family by blood or the people you grew up with that influenced you to become the person you are, should support you in your future decisions, and be able to recognize that you are making a decision that will better you as a person and hopefully most likely improve your life. It should inspire others in your home community to do the same and they should be proud, not make you feel as if your success is shameful or intentionally hurting or looking down on your past.

Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My dad has a similar situation and in a way his situation could be seem as being above his raisins. He was raised in Old Fort, a tiny mountain town, in NC. His family is a farming family. He was raised with very humble roots. He has 3 siblings and as far as i know he is the only one who went to college although all siblings are supporting themselves and their families. But my dad went to college for two years and later went back for his four year degree. Not only did he succeed his family in education but he also moved away from Old Fort (the rest of the family lives with in walking distance) to Kings Mountain, NC. Kings Mountain is a very small town and is no means city like but I have heard comments from my family when we visit about "you city folk" because we did move away from the mountain life. So this isn't an extreme case but just a small example of being above your raisins.

Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When I was a junior in high school, I started looking into colleges. At first, it seemed my parents were excited for me to go. We went to look at UNC Chapel Hill, Wake Forest, and then Appalachian. If I were to attend any of these institutions, I would be the first in my family to attend a four year university. When the time came for me to start applying for college my family's attitude changed. I think they were just going along with my collegiate dreams and trying to be supportive but when reality struck, they withdrew their happy feelings. I believe they thought I was trying to get above my rasings. They preferred me to go to the local community college and live at home. However, a part of me says this is not the case. Maybe they were just apprehensive about sending their oldest child away from home and off to college. The feeling I got from their initial disapproval was hurtful. I wasn't trying to be better than anyone in my family by going to a four year university. If I was going to be a teacher, I was eventually going to be required to attend. Now they are fine with the idea of me going to ASU. I'm glad about their change of attitude.

Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:16 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Neither one of my parents went to college but it wasn't a choice for me, I was always assumed to go. My parents never for one minute imagined me not completeing a 4 year school. However, back when they were younger, you didn't have to have a college degree to be successful in life. They are middle class now with decent jobs, own a house and all their cars. I think that today's age is different though. It is very difficult to get a good job without some kind of higher education. Even district managers over McDonalds need a degree. I think the question of "getting over your rais'in" has to do more about what social class you're in, not if you're educated or not. I will be in the same social class as my parents while I went to college and they didn't. It also depends on the parents too. Some parents always want the best for their children and want them to succeed no matter what class they're in. However, others are offended, though I don't quite understand why. I think as teachers, we should ENCOURAGE success in education and life in general despite what some people think about staying within their raising.

Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It sounds like I have a similar experience to Katie. Neither one of my parents went to college because back then they didn't have to. However, ever since I can remember, both my parents encouraged me to go to college because they recognized the need for it. They both wanted me to go further than they did because they knew it was better for me. I'm very thankful for this.

As for "getting above my raisings", I sometimes look at myself and say, "Yes, I want to get above my raisings." Even though my immediate family (mom, dad, and sister) never had to deal with this, I have a lot of family members that aren't successful. They're in and out of jail, they struggle to make enough money to live on their own, some live with their parents as grown adults in their 30's and 40's, and their in unstable relationships and environments. If you include that in my "raisin'", then yes, I do want to get above my raising and be successful.

Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do not think that I have personally faced this problem. Both of my parents attended a four year university and graduated with a degree, so my going to college was always expected. It was just a question of where and when for me, not if. My dad, however, has been accused of getting above his raisin’ several times by my grandmother and other members of his family. My dad grew up in Gastonia, near the Loray Mills, in which both of his parents worked. When he graduated from high school, both of his parents encouraged him to go out and get married and find a job, just like his two sisters before him. When he decided to attend UNCC instead, I think it both surprised and hurt his family. I think they really thought that he was trying to do better than them and that what they had done for him as a child was not good enough. At first I think it was hurtful to my dad to hear his family’s remarks about how “good he had it nowâ€

Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:33 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My mom is a first generation college student. Her father used to be a bee farmer, work for Marathon oil company, and fought in WWII. As far as I've been told, her grandmother stayed at home with her and my aunt and would help him with making the honey.
My aunt still lives in the same town, a few minutes from my grandparents' house. She has taken classes here and there at a community college that is not accredited. One of her sons recently moved to NC, while the younger one (who is in his thirties) lived at home until he recently went back to jail.
My mother put herself through school. She originally wanted to be a flight attendant, but went to nursing school. She got her master's degree from UNCG and is currently working on her doctorate through Appalachian.

My dad was in the army so he didn't go straight to college. After he served he worked with a lumber supply company, similar to Lowes & Home Depot. He later went to community college to get his RN and now works as a mental health nurse.

My mother's parents never treated her as though she was gettin' above her raisin'... of course, we're all yankees so it wouldn't be said that way. They've been supportive of her, with the exception of my aunt. Don't get me wrong, its not that there is hate there... but my aunt uses my mom's schooling as a way to look down on her. My mom has a completely goofy personality, and in a social setting won't always care to use the perfect grammar or mannerisms. She's not one to rub her accomplishments in other peoples faces. But when my mom makes a mistake or doesn't know every answer, my aunt will say 'well you went to college, you should know' and other comments similar to these. I think it is such an ignorant thing when people act this way and then think they know it all.

Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:22 am
All-star
All-star

As for "getting above raisins'", I can definitely relate to this topic. I am a first generation (four-year college student - I had one cousin to get a two year degree at the local community college) from my mom's family and sometimes I feel like my extended family look at me as "trying to get above my raisin'". I grew up on a family farm in a very small town, Oxford, NC. I have the typical "country family", we all live close to one another, we have tons of animals (from dogs to cows and goats), and my grandfather farmed tobacco up until just a few years ago. Growing up, I was expected to wake up on Saturday mornings and help in the tobacco. Of course, I was always encouraged by my parents to go to college, but as far as the rest of my family, it wasn't such a big deal. My grandparents wanted me to get an education, but they weren't sure about me moving 3 hours away and going to a 4 year university. They sort of wanted me to attend the local community college and stay in Oxford. Much of my other family seems to also feel almost threatened by me going to college. I have many cousins that are around the same age as me, and most of them are married and have children. When they talk to me, it's almost like they don't know what to say and they sort of distance themselves from me. Not saying that they don't want to talk to me or anything, I can just tell that there are issues there. Some even ask me sometimes what college is like and if I enjoy it. Like I said, some feel as though I am trying to get above my raisins, but I just feel like I am striving for more out of life. I want a degree and a career and I feel honored to be the first generation four year college student in my family.

Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I grew up in a small town too. A lot of the people there were farmers and didn't go to college. There are, however, a number of people who did go to college. A lot of these folks are the teachers, doctor, lawyers, and such. My family would be the ones who didn't go to college. They worked in the tobacco fields from the time they could walk until they were in their 20's.

Most of my family members have never thought I was above my raisin because I went to college. Noon in my family has attended and graduated from a four year university. Hopefully, I will be the first to do that. My mom and two aunts wanted me to go to college. They pushed me and told me I was going because they didn't have the chance. All three of them wished that they had the chance to go to college, and didn't want me in that same boat. I am blessed to have such a supportive family!

Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:28 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe that all humans should strive to "get above their raisin'." My immediate family was, and still is, somewhat ostracized by the extended family because we were seen by their standards as being "better off." My brother and I attended private school while the rest of the family went to county schools. They referred to us as preps because of the clothes that we wore and the cars that we drove. The only family members who were proud of the fact that my parents strove to better themselves and their children were my grandparents. My grandmother was the one who always pushed us to "get above our raisin'." She reminded us that she washed laundry and worked in the yarn mill so that her children and grandchildren would not have to. She more than anyone else wanted us to rise above and never settle. I apologize because I feel that I just told a "cousin" story. Good topic Emily.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]