View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Early Childhood Education 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I believe I am the only b-k major in the class, that's not to say that I am the only one planning to work with pre-school aged children, and I know for sure that I am not the only one that currently works with or has experience working with these ages. However, in most of my education classes, with the exception of specifically child development classes, my major gets overlooked. I feel that birth through kindergarten is the most important age to start instilling good social skills, and the right skills to become a good learner. This has been proven through research as well that children learn more rapidly and take in more during this time than any other time in their lives! However, despite teaching at the most important period in children's lives, we are generally the least paid professionals, and the least recognized. I even get criticized as a student in the child development and education program about how "easy" my major is by others in science or business departments. Some people don't feel that what I and others in my field do is important, they think that we just play all day and get messy. While yes I spend a lot of time playing, there is a lot of learning through play and imagination and the mess is inevitable. I would be interested to hear the perspectives of others that are middle and secondary majors on early childhood education and especially how special ed plays into it as well. I do have some experience with special ed students at the center that I work at, and it is amazing seeing the children develop at such a young age. Please share your ideas!

Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I want to teach kindergarten for some of the very same reasons. These young students are so impressionable and their brains are like sponges soaking up all of the knowledge they can and like you said it's such an important age. I think it's great that you want to work with this age group and no your major shouldn't get overlooked. Like you were saying developmental, social, behavioral skills are so important and this is a very important part of their lives. Kids have to have that positive influence at a very young age, and it's especially important if they're not getting it at home or in the community.

Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:52 pm

I want to do kindergarten as well. I think it is one of the most important times for children because it is their first time in a school setting. I think kindergarten will be a lot of fun but it will be a lot of work. We as teachers have to teach children who may have disabilities, family problems, and more. We have to figure out where each learner is starting from and where they are headed. We have to ensure that they get a good foundation for what is to come. I think there is a great deal of pressure on the early educators. But personally I am ready and anxious for the opportunity.

Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:29 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Even though I don't really want to teach very young kids I still completely agree that the beginning stages of learning are very crucial for kids. During their phases of emergent literacy they need the best responses, social awareness, and education possible. These first few years of kid’s lives are what will inevitably shape them into who they will become later in life. So without the birth to kindergarten teachers they would be disadvantaged and all the other careers that were depending on those future students wouldn't have the intellectual possibility as they expected. I think that it's ridiculous for others to judge or look down on those who help base and shape the citizens of our society. After the children have learned their emergent learning and have passed on into conventional learning, then it is others jobs to continue with the education and social foundations that were first instilled into their character by the b-k teachers in order to allow for them to be the best possible.

Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]