View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Student dealing with Intersextuality 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Concerning the class that we had on the topic of hermaphrodites, what would you as future teachers do if one of your students were dealing with being intersexual and how would you approach this situation?

Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have never known anyone who is intersex (and if I did, I didn't know) so it would be hard for me to know how to act around them. As happens with race and culture and many other aspects of the classroom, I think teachers kind of "walk on eggshells" (pardon the bad metaphor) to avoid conflict. Though this is extremely common, I feel that it could potentially worsen the problem. This may make the student feel that they ARE different and point it out even more. I know that when I feel different and out of place from my surroundings, my mind is probably making the situation A LOT worse than it really is. Young students will do this too and not be conscious of it. Therefore, I will by no means ignore the student, but I will treat them no differently than I would treat any other student. I would avoid using games or songs that are broken into male and female parts (which will be difficult! but possible) and make the student feel completely accepted and comfortable.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:38 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with the idea of not dividing the class into groups based on sex. The student wouldn't have to feel awkward, conflicted, or like they had to choose. I also think that treating them the same as any other student is a good idea. I believe sometimes we go out of our way to make individuals feel comfortable and accepted, but in reality it makes the uncomfortable because they feel as though they stick out more because of OUR actions. I think creating a classroom community that is inviting and safe for all students is overall the best way to deal with most circumstances.

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]