View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Today's discussion 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

After today's discussion, I just want to say that the basis of the Christian faith is bigger than politics or party lines. I know some people feel that Christians are sometimes generalized and stereotyped. Sometimes these stereotypes are positive like that we are devoted and typically loving (HOPEFULLY!!!!), but typically they are more negative on both liberal and conservative sides. The statement that most Christians are pro-choice was new to me. I, myself, oppose abortion; those reasons are personal and while based in my Christian faith, are not to say that other Christians cannot still love Jesus and be pro-choice.

This topic is NOT abortion and I do not want it to turn into that, but I do want to say that the Christian faith is about your relationship with Jesus Christ, not with Republicans or Democrats. People will probably see some of my actions and be surprised that I am a Christian because I do not always portray my faith well. However, I hope that people do not see that I am conservative and automatically think I am a Christian or see someone who is more liberal and automatically think they are not.

There isn't really a question here to be answered, but if you guys have anything to say about it, please do!

Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you completely Kari that the Christian faith is so much bigger than politics. I feel like pretty much any group of people is stereotyped (whether positive or negative) on something, and that doesn't exclude Christians. I like what you said that, "I hope that people do not see that I am conservative and automatically think I am a Christian or see someone who is more liberal and automatically think they are not." I think a lot of times this is what happens, but I guarantee you that there are conservative people that are not of the Christian faith and liberals who are.

One of my good friends, whose faith in and relationship with Christ I admire, voted for Obama in the election. A friend of his told him he was going to go to hell because he supports Obama... and in all honesty it made me laugh. The last time I checked, your political affiliation does not determine your salvation. Your salvation rests on your relationship with Christ, or lack there of.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree guys. If I am not mistaken, Christianity was around a few years before Republican and Democrat. I believe, and there is evidence to support my theory, that religion, and in this case, Christianity is a personal relationship with God. Regardless of who you support in an election, your own personal relationship should not be affected. It is crazy to connect Christianity to one particular party over the other, as there are Christians on both sides of the aisle. For example, there are many Christians out there who voted for Obama primarily because of Democratic beliefs in economic policy, a topic seperate from religion. The personal relationship in religion is a powerful thing, something I find much more powerful than any relationship one may have with a political faction.

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

So this is a little late for this conversation, but I definitely had some thoughts after those statements were made about this topic during class and wanted to get in on this. I completely agree with you guys. Party affiliation and most views on political or economic and societal issues have NOTHING to do with my Christian faith and I was offended when I felt it was implied in the class discussion that it does. While Christianity at its core is founded on basic principles, values, and beliefs, I consider myself a Christian because of my religious background and a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. This has absolutely nothing to do with my feelings about abortion, the war, the economic status, or anything related and I would be extremely upset if people were to judge my religious affiliation or tell me what I "am" or "am not" based on my party affiliation or views on any of the topics previously listed. I feel like sometimes a lot of huge generalizations are made and other people's opinions are imposed as the only right way when we get heavily into our discussions and it is important to keep an open mind and remember that there are many different ways of life and thoughts about the issues we discuss.

Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]