View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Advertising Continued 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yesterday we had some very good discussion about media and advertising, but I still think there is more we can talk about.

So the questions I have for everyone are:

As consumers, can we do anything to change the advertising industry, and the type of values and body images they promote?

What are some ways we as future teachers can address this in the classroom to encourage our students that this is not the body image they should be seeking?

Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:45 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Those are really good questions. I often have thought could we help change the media vision of women and how. I believe that if all would come together and realize that no one is perfect and that we are beautiful just the way we are then certain stereotypes wouldn't be so stressed. Although, I also believe that this is a very slim chance and would be extremely hard to change around the world's views. I suppose that we could all boycott certain magazines and ads as well as speaking out. As for teaching our students that these self images aren't true or accurate compared to everyday life people we as teachers could definitely help change their outlooks or at least encourage them otherwise. By showing them certain more age appropriate videos like the one we viewed in class would be a great attention grabber. Other various activities and facts could be presented to the students so that they would be more media literate and discern between what’s real and what isn’t. Overall, just encouraging your students that everyone is different and just because ads show a certain ideal shape doesn't mean that those are accurate or any more beautiful than what we see in our everyday lives.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think having conversations like the one in class yesterday is the best way to open our students' eyes to how much the media distorts reality. There are millions of things that we are told through advertising that are simply not true, whether they are subliminal or intentional (or intentionally subliminal!). We are tricked into thinking we are never good enough, no matter what we do, not rich enough, pretty enough, skinny enough, buff enough, etc. Children in elementary school can understand these things and if we talk about them at a young age, we can alter the way they perceive the media and teach them how to truly interpret reality.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:46 pm

I agree, I think they only way to change the advertising world is to open the eyes of consumers. To have open discussions with our class and help the to see that not everyone is like the people in magazines. If we allow our students to see that the "norm" is not like the "norm" in the magaizines or what they see on tv I think that is the only way we will open their eyes to see something different from what they have always known.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally agree. Something I learned in my 3850 class that I'm sure everyone learned is the idea of teaching students to deconstruct media/advertisement. It's our responsibility as teachers and as adults in society to teach others to think about things. That's what college is all really. If we can teach them to think, to criticize(not the negative connotation of criticize), and analyze things that are presented to them, they're more likely to recognize the false things that they see.

Also, another way to change or reshape the industry is to resist buying the products that produce advertisement that negatively influences the ideas of the public. If there is a tv show that I find trashy or supports values that I don't support, I won't watch it for that reason. It's the same for buying products. This is a little thing but the more people who are aware and who resist buying aren't contributing to that market.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:03 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Emily, I absolutly agree. If we don't buy the products that these advertisements are selling then we can give the companies a clear idea that we don't like what's going on.

Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:46 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We're definitely on the right track with teaching media literacy being the key to discovering truths to advertising and not letting children be too negatively affected by the extreme images and false ideas often portrayed by the media. When children see advertisements, they cannot distinguish at a young age whether it is the same or different from television shows so they continue to watch it with the same amount of interest and attention. Also, most children do not know on their own what is fact and what is exaggeration by companies to push items on the market to a vulnerable audience. It is important as more money is put into advertising these days especially toward children, that they be able to advocate for themselves and not give in. They must be able to interpret the information they are receiving, analyze it, and evaluate it critically to make an informed decision.

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]