View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 advertising 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In class the other day we talked about advertising and how it demoralizes women. I was just curious about everyones thoughts on who do you think is more responsible for advertising becoming this way. Is it the consumers or the advertising companies? I personally think that it is equally our fault as consumers as the advertisers. If we would not support those products and buy them, the advertisers would probably come up with other ways to sell their products. Anyone else have an opinion?

Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I absolutly agree with you. Advertisers use these degrading and opressive messages about women because we let them. If we didn't support their products, then they would try and find another way to sell them to us.

At the same time, the media's protrayal of women stems from a deeper and older sense of "a woman's place" if we are to ever truly be free from the sterotypes, then we must find the beginnings of these ideas.

Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:35 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with both of you, and along with Nikki if women were more confident in themselves and the individuals that they are, then they wouldn't be seaching for outside influences to make them feel better. After all if everyone was exactly like they wanted to be they would still be unhappy. Most of the time it's a self-esteem or personal issue rather than what individuals perceive others think of them. And of course advertising doesn't help the situation out.

Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that both parties share responsibility in this problem. For young girls who are hitting the age that they will be marketed- middle/high school I would say, it is easier for them to be swayed by marketing. Especially at an age when many people (all sexes) are self conscious, it is a perfect time for marketers to pick up new buyers. Kindof like cigarette companies...

But my point is, it becomes a cycle. Young girls start using special products and some of them may never question how the products are being marketed, they just become accustomed to it.

Parents and teachers can be influential to younger generations by talking to them about what kinds of values these advertisements project. Also teaching youth to deconstruct media and think about the goal of the advertisement. In a capitalist society, ultimately businesses function to make profit. Teaching students to examine the motive of the advertisement is helpful. The producers of the product aren't really interested in the way you look- they're interested in how much you're willing to pay to get the look they sell.

Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/vo ... orexia.jpg

The Italian photographer Oliviero Toscani took this photo and a similar one where the model is posed with her back to the camera, looking over her shoulder. They're both classical poses in sculpture and paintings.

I think they provide a good counter-affect to the skinny models in magazines/advertisements.

Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think another thing to bring up with the issue of the media is the blatant sexualization of women(and men, but to a lesser degree). I have often thought about the fact that the media's over-sexualization of women, especially young women is probably one of the strong reasons behind the increase in teenage pregnancy. The media pushes the idea into young girl's heads that they are the ultimate sexual object and it is not surprising because of this that so many are sexually active. In addition to this, we have not increased sex education as the sexual images in the media have increased, if anything we have regressed with the popularity of abstinence only education. We need to be educating our students, especially our young girls about the images used in advertising and help them even more by teaching comprehensive sex education.

Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]