View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Ethnocentric schools 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have a topic that kind of stems from April's about race. There are schools in this country that are "ethnocentric" which means that they teach students of one particular background (usually about 95% or more of the school population) and teach them about things that are important to their race/heritage. For example, in an African American ethnocentric school, they would spend more time on what Harriet Tubman did and less time on what the "nice white people" in the North did. They would learn about Elijah McCoy and where the saying "The Real McCoy" really came from. They would learn that George Washington Carver and Scott Joplin were black!!!! I am SO ashamed to say this, but until high school I did not know that G.W. Carver was black and it wasn't until COLLEGE that I knew that Scott Joplin was black... and I am a music major.

These things are so important for black students (and everyone!) to know. And every minority needs to know that there were EXTREMELY important people of their race and background that have contributed to this country and this world.

So my question is (after the dissertation) do you think that ethnocentric schools are necessary? positive? negative? What about majority white schools? What are the differences?

Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Here are some really cool websites if you're interested.

http://www.blackinventor.com/
http://asianamericaninventors.com/
http://inventors.about.com/od/famousinv ... exican.htm

It is amazing what we don't know!

Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

While these schools could be very positive to minority groups; I think that it's really important to teach the curriculum correctly and include all cultures and races while teaching. The majority white schools probably wouldn't put the needed emphasis on certain topics that don't pertain to their race. Schools need to create a multicultural informative curriculum that creates successful teaching across all subjects and to all students.

Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]