View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Paddling used in Public Schools? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am currently in block I for this semester and the school that I’m in for practicum is located in Burke County. I was fairly shocked when I learned that they still paddled for the disciplinary action within the school. I know that some schools still use and believe in this type of reprimand, but I wasn't aware of it in many places. How do you feel about the school system and our public educators being able to paddle the students as a punishment?

Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that is a terrible idea. There are way too many kids that get abused at home and to come to school and have to worry about the same thing is awful. I also think that schools that still allow paddling are just asking for trouble. I do not understand why any school would want to allow that considering all the liability that comes with it. A teacher can get in trouble if a student hurts another student in their classroom so I can only imagine the consequences I a teacher hit a student and the parent got mad and reported it.

Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:15 pm
All-star
All-star

In the school I worked in only the principal could paddle students and only with permission from the parents.

Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In a highschool I use to attend in Georgia, they still paddled. I remember one guy in my 9th grade class who got it often. He said it got harder each time. This guy was a huge trouble maker and honestly, the only thing that made him think about his actions before he did it were the paddlings. The principal would clearly describe why he was being paddled and there were witnesses to make sure it was not abuse. Also, if a girl had to be paddled, a woman authoirty fiugre would perform it in the same fashion. It was not public, but there were witnesses. This student even admited to me that paddling was the one way to make him think before he acted. Some students do not care about ISS, OSS, or even if a caring teacher tries to talk them out of their actions. I think there are those "certain cases." I'm sure many people will disagree with me, but coming fro ma highschool were success has resulted from it, I have to understand why some schools still paddle.

Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:00 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that there are some kids that do not respond to ISS, OSS or other forms of punishment, however, paddling is not the answer in my opinion. I grew up in a school system that sent home forms at the beginning of each year, one being a permission form for paddling. The parents could either check yes, they gave the principal permission to paddle, or no, they did not. I don't know anyone who was personally paddled. I believe that teachers need to take a more creative approach to punishing students and there would be no need for paddling.

Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In my high school, paddling was a form of discipline implemented when there seemed to be no other alternatives. I feel that paddling works in some cases and in other cases it is bad. If children come from violent home lives, school shouldn't be a place of fear.

Also, if there are paddling permission forms sent home at the beginning of the year that could be a bad thing. If a student disobeys to something minor and the school administration decided to paddle when unnecessary, that is a problem. Before a paddling would take place, I think the principal should have to call the parents with the student and teacher present in the room and at that time get permission to paddle after explaining the reason.

Overall, I am against paddling because is it really our place to inflict physical harm on a child, especially when the child isn't our own?

Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that consent form should definitily be sent home for paddling. Paddling should only be used in the most severe cases. Other creative punishments should be explored first. However, not all students can be manipulated by words or other punishments. Paddling should be the LAST alternative, but sometimes I still think it can be useful if done properly.

I know people don't believe religion should be acknowledged in school. However, I believe the bible is the ultimate authority which does impact my belief on paddling.

Proverbs 13:24-- " He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes."

Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I used to talk to my mom about paddling in school and she would tell me how it was when she was a kid. It is interesting to hear the differences between then and today. She told me that when she was a kid students had a lot more respect for teachers as opposed today where students often mouth off to their teachers. That would not have happened when she was a kid. Whether or not paddling is right (I personally think it could be useful in certain circumstances as has already discussed) I do find it interesting in the lack of authority that students have for teachers and other authority figures as well.

This reminds me of a story from middle school. I had the coolest 7th grade social studies teacher. He was an ex NFL football player who taught really well and was just freakin cool. Anyways, he knew how to interact with students and have fun, as well as assert his authority and garner respect from students. One day the class was acting up really bad and so what he did was throw down this massive wooden podium in the front of class. It scared the crap out of everyone and nobody talked the rest of the class period. Hehehe, like I said he was the man and he could do that and I think it was a good tactic.

Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do not agree with corporal punishment in the public school system. That is the parents' decision and the parents' task to carry out that type of punishment. I would be a very upset parent if my child were paddled by someone who is not a guardian figure for that child. I was paddled in school but voiced my opinion at an early age that I would rather my parents give me spanking, so they approached the principle and arranged that I receive no more corporal punishment at school. This subject has been debated for a long time and I can hardly believe that public schools still paddle. Legislation needs to be passed to deal with this matter so that future generations do not have to deal with it.

Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]